Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

Junior Potato
    Solar-to-hydrogen is a growing industry. A few state governments around Australia are already investing in startup programs. Thusly:

Build a plant near the ocean with a decently sized solar farm

Suck water out of said ocean

Electrolysis

Store oxygen in one tank and hydrogen in another

Put on big boat, sail to China

Sell hydrogen to China where they can use it in gas turbine generators

The benefits are that there are no ongoing electricity costs because you get it from the sky, and the by product of hydrogen combustion is fresh water vapour.

Once the initial investment in solar panels is paid for then it’s an easy business case to continue. It does require a hell of a lot of energy to refine the water but the sun pumps it out for free.

And natural gas turbine generators only need slight modifications to convert to hydrogen use. The steam could be released to precipitate somewhere else (a possible source of climate change if the scale is big enough) or it could be captured and used in industrial settings and released into the water treatment system, saving some of the town water supply for other uses.

Some drawbacks:

China is the main customer, and we know how tricky they can be

Storing hydrogen is very difficult as its atoms are smaller than the gaps in the structure used to hold it, meaning it has to be COLD and stored in large volumes to reduce evaporation

The ideal location for these plants is close to China to reduce transit time, but a lot of northern Australia is pristine wilderness

Other than that this is a great way to massively reduce carbon emissions. And yeah we’re talking about car fuel here; just do the same thing but for cars.

Seems its a more complex hydrocarbon than ethanol, so it can be run in cars that cant handle higher ethanol levels.
    And it might end up expensive, but hey if you own a classic or valuable Porsche you want to know you can keep running the car in 20 years even if the fuel costs go up.

And even if they do go all electric in the next 10 years, I think for Porsche they want to be able to say "our cars can be on the road forever". They have always prided themselves in the number of older models that are still going. They do parts and servicing for much longer than most marques.
    This is a way of saying "your 1970 porsche can keep going even if existing petroleum fuels stop".
    As well as still selling newer models with a bit of reassurance it wont be obsolete in a few years.

Good move!

Just recently read an article about such solar plant in middle of nowhere CA end up attracting bugs due to its shininess... as a result, that attracted bug eating birds... so they are seeing quite a number of birds vaporized by sun’s focused death rays reflected off of those mirrors. Environmentalists naturally are concerned...

There are no perfect solutions.

Nature always finds a way though to balance things out. Such as forcing them stupid humans to stay home as much as possible by giving then a pandemic.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    This is a way of saying "your 1970 porsche can keep going even if existing petroleum fuels stop".
    I've heard of them even training dealerships to service 917 race cars.

Dealerships!

They had an ad where a guy rings up trying to get his tractor serviced and the receptionist is confused by the model (but of cause the nerdy service boss has it covered)
    here it is...

I really liked that commercial and now I'm going to watch it again for the first time in years and smile again.

Junior Potato
    That's a cute ad!

There just happened to be an open day at the local Porsche dealership as I was on my way past for a haircut this morning. I dropped in on the gamble that they'd have a historic car from their museum on tour, as they sometimes do. Unfortunately no, but it did have wall-to-wall Taycans since they must be having a launch event for it. They are an impressively sized car. Massive. But it still looks really good, almost like the proportions of a small sports car but upsized 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I really liked that commercial and now I'm going to watch it again for the first time in years and smile again.
    And who said the Germans dont have a sense of humour!!

I worked in a Porsche dealer for a year as a service advisor and it is absolutely true they train them to work on just about everything. Of course every shop will have their “air cooled” guy or their “race car” guy...guys that are particularly experienced in certain things. One time we got a perfect street GT1 (I think only 17 were officially made) in for service. The guy was a collector who lived nearby who bought it at auction in Monaco or something for 20mil. He wanted to disable the stock anti theft device because he was an old guy who had no idea how it functioned. Of course when really special cars like this come in the regional service representative will stop in to make sure it’s handled with perfection.

Got to drive some cool shit while I was there.

Junior Potato
    I've long dreamed about a job working for Porsche as a mechanic in a dealership.

I am sure, knowing what little I know about the company structure, that there would be a career path from apprentice at Porsche Centre Gold Coast on Harvest Court in Southport, to working for the factory Le Mans race team if you were keen enough.