Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsche Says Its Synthetic Fuel Could Make Gas-Powered Engines as Clean as EVs

May the impossible fuel work out, otherwise all of that just might disappear...

Well, actually I saw a Taycan on the road the other day, in some weird color, but it looks cool! Better than any Tesla that’s for sure!

Havent seen a Taycan yet. As RWA mentioned, the launch in Aus has just happened.

And petroleum fuel will continue for a while. Many places are banning it in new cars, dont know many places are banning cars that use it. Even then they might get an exemption for a fuel like this (and some tax!!)

Still, imagine if you’re a service technician for a DVD player or VHS/cassette player?

Porsche is really something. I think they’re so far the only traditional car company able to make Tesla look bad. I remember I used to laugh at Porsche for making SUVs. However, Porsche is now the one laughing all the way to the bank! Whichever the wind eventually blows, I’m pretty sure Porsche shall do well.

Anyway, about the only thing I hate about EVs is that you can’t rev engines no more. So I really hope they get the impossible fuel to work.

Quite a few Taycans around here. I look forward to this synthetic fuel initiative succeeding, so that I can run my brz forever.

What results is a stable medium that its makers say is 10 times more energy-dense than lithium-ion batteries
    Whoa!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yeah... I'm skeptical, but intrigued.

Junior Potato
    The lead picture in the link looks like it should be accompanied by a headline such as “Power your devices using this one weird trick. You won’t believe what scientists have invented!”

Doesnt sound that good. After using your tank of hydrogen goop you now have no-hydrogen goop to get rid of and need more good goop to refill.

Interesting that they compared the energy density to a battery, not existing fuels. It is a fuel, not a battery (it needs replacement, not just recharging). And it also seemed they might have not included the water in that calculation. It needs the water and that also supplies half the hydrogen.
    Yeah Im calling "marketing bullshit" on the energy density claims.

I guess they’re making themselves more comparable to EVs rather than ICE vehicles. Such as fuel cell uses hydrogen to power the electric motor.

Honda Clarity had 3 different power sources, hydrogen fuel cell, pure EV and a gas hybrid.

EV with only lithium batteries preformed the worse... could only go 90miles, where as the fuel cell and hybrid could go much further...

The problem with that hydrogen fuel cell car is that I’m a bit afraid of that highly pressurized hydrogen tank... and it can be bulky, taking up a lot of trunk space. With this paste, you won’t need such a high pressure bulky tank anymore...

So this will perform better than the EV because of higher energy density of the ‘battery’, but probably still won’t go as far as the pure hydrogen car...

At least it’ll be cleaner burning.

I think the key will be how much energy will it take to produce this goo and overall cost...

EV costs are dropping, but overall still more expensive than ICE cars.

Hydrogen goo car needs to be cheaper than EV, not just have better energy density. If you can’t beat prices, or at least has the potential to have lower prices, I just don’t think it will catch on.

Tesla cars are still just a niche in the overall car market.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 5th, 2021 at 04:59 PM.