Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's coworker is selling his BMW 330Ci - worth getting?

Administrator

Wife's coworker is selling his BMW 330Ci - worth getting?

I've been without my own car now for about 8-9 years and have no immediate need to have one of my own. However, one of my wife's coworkers just told her he's got a 2004 330Ci with a manual gearbox that he needs to get rid of, asking $2k. Autotrader shows them going for more like $6k around here, and at this point that price is almost impulse buy. Figured I'd see if anybody here knows a good reason to get it or a reason to avoid that particular model/year/whatever.

Don't know beans about BMWs, but "Pssst, hey buddy - wanna buy a car, cheap?" sounds more fun than the usual research and shopping and haggling and hoping that most people go through. Good luck.

I have the 2002 version of that car.

Buy it and know that if you end up not liking it you can sell it to a Spec E46 builder at or above your cost.

Good reasons to buy:
    -It's one of the most well-balanced fun driver's cars for the money.
    -Wide parts availability from multiple vendors for regular items.
    -Large aftermarket for go-fast parts.
    -This community alone has a few of them, and there is a very wide online community for DIYs, shop referrals, ideas, sales.
    -The motors go forever if you don't abuse them too much and change the oil like a normal person. I once ran mine 4qts low like a jackass and it ran fine once topped up.

Bad reasons to buy:
    -Rear body may be cracked at the subframe mounts. Hard to inspect because they're hidden by the mounts.
    -Underhood plastics may be old and ready for a refresh, like the DISA valve, CCV (engine oil separator system), radiator intake/outlet, coolant bottle, etc. Everything I mentioned can be done in a driveway, with patience.
    -You can't handle being that awesome? I dunno, you seem cool to me.

Not all of them had fold-down seats, the latches are in the trunk if you want to check.
    Not a real difference between the 5-speed and 6-speed, 1-4 are the same I believe.
    2004 was near the end of the run so most of the quirks are worked out. Probably.

If you want to kick the tires on it and come back with more targeted questions we'll be here.

LOL. I have been thinking about getting a convertible for a bit now. Let me know if you don't get it. ;-)

I've driven an 03 or 04 (I think) 330Ci auto convertible. In my limited experience it's a great car and I fully agree with dodint's first and last points. I can't speak as to the rest as I don't have the knowledge. Get it.

Junior Potato
    I'd buy it based on looks and that awesome engine alone. What colour is it?

And $2000?

Fuck. As long as it isn't a basket case.

Even if it's a basket case, partout at USD2K. Plus that I6 (assuming it's been properly maintained) is really a gem of an engine.

I know someone who needs an engine....

I'd say you arrange to sell this car to one of the GTXfers right here for $3000 and then pocket the difference.

Personally, I'd hate to be driving a BMW with this button not working and that radio knob not working and interior linings delaminated... and worst of all is its precious engine no longer working. Then you won't get your $2000 back.

Anyway, go check it out and see how it looks and drives 1st.

Don't spend that $2K until you check out this beauty from the LA craigslist!

Lemons Race Car, 2004 Jeep Grand Cheorkee Limited V8 - $1,900

It has everything you need and nothing you don't!