Thread: Let’s say I want to tether off multiple devices…

Junior Potato

Let’s say I want to tether off multiple devices…

Picture this:

You have an iPad and an iPhone and you are using them as a hotspot for your PC etc, but the 4G reception at home is atrocious and you max out at 10mbps per device. (Where the reception is good a speed of 120mbps has been observed).

Is there a way to tell your PC to allow both mobile devices to hotspot simultaneously and potentially get a connection that will go up to 20mbps? If the PC can’t accept two WiFi hotspots, could it then use one on WiFi and the other on Bluetooth or USB and get a result?

I’d love to know.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    sounds like the connection hardware is the bottleneck here.

get a newer wifi card?

mmm... sorry i misunderstood it. i thought your home connection was capped.
    acket.

I have no idea if its at all possible, but I definitely remember “shotgunning” two dial up lines way back in the day

Administrator
    I'm not a networking expert by any means, but the only thing that comes to mind is I think you can make a simple linux router with bgp that uses both connections and have that do some traffic shaping. Might even just be able to do "turn IP octet into an int and send traffic to one if the IP is even and the other if it's odd" to try to load balance across the two.

I have absolutely no idea if this would actually work.

Junior Potato
    Yeah, given the lack of results I have seen on the web, I'd say it's cut-and-shut.

Usually you download large files from a single source, and splitting it up and having the entire network cooperate on this endeavour would be a big task. Knowing how local wifi connections alone do packet transmissions from router to device, it's no wonder that it's not a thing. Plus, I am only asking about this because I don't have good internet at home in an age of ubiquitous gigabit connections.

But! It would work wonderfully if your PC could use two connections for two different sources. I could download a hundred gigabytes of MSFS files on one connection, and watch YouTube at 1080p in my browser on another.

I came up with the idea that it could be possible because I will download something to my PC with my iPad as a hotspot, and while I wait I can watch Disney+ on my Xbox with my iPhone as its hotspot. The two devices have a 500GB account with two SIM cards between them.

I mean, you could just move to an address which offers gigabit fiber internet for usd40/month.

Junior Potato
    Solid option.

The other option is staying here and waiting 20 years for that to become a reality in my country.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    the only thing that i know of that did something similar are those multi-sim card docks for live TV cameras.

like this
    acket.