Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport

Don’t sell the pretty flimsy wheels, keep all your original equipment dude, when it becomes a classic, it should worth a lot more!

Anyway, glad to know you found an affordable solution!

Junior Potato
    Those low profile tyres don't do much to protect wheels unfortunately. But that's part of the pleasure of owning a really cool car.

I nearly came unstuck on a pothole last year. I was on a busy rural road with a toffy private school just off a side road, so it was full of parents picking up their kids.

I was following a car in the traffic jam at walking speed and noticed the balls end of a giant penis that had been spray painted on the road being slowly revealed from under the car ahead. At the business end was a humongous 2ft wide pothole, but at that point I couldn't see it as it was still under the car in front of me.

I looked down and thought well that's interesting then luckily saw the pothole at the top of the beautifully illustrated shaft with enough time to swerve to the side.

I'd like to thank the artist, otherwise I might have dropped a wheel into it and slightly damaged my bike, which would have been much worse than the crash I did have only a month later.

GM has been sued over these wheels already. Their argument in court was that they're defectively designed, not defectively constructed, so they don't have to replace them under warranty. And the court agreed.
    They're unusually prone to breaking, potholes or not.

Keep your fancy-schmancy alloys in storage for car shows and resale value and run steelies for daily driving.

That’s what I’m talking about!

Sorry about the wheel! At least it could be repaired. If one was flush with cash, it would be a nice opportunity to get some aftermarket items (CE28N ahem), but usually that's not the case after just buying your dream car.

I'm a sucker for a split 5 spoke wheel. The CE28N's do nothing for me. I'd be most likely to try and find wheels that look as close possible to my current ones, like these or these.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I kinda like the silver one... with checker flag on it! Should help you finish the race!

You could even get the one that's gloss black with mirror cut surface so you can have both black and silver...

Having the local Corvette expert do the 30k mile maintenance a little early and inspect the car before I take it out for its first weekend trip to the IMSA race at Mid-Ohio. Predictably the front left wheel is also bent. I'm going to replace it, get it fixed, and then I'll have a spare of each on hand to rotate in/out of service as necessary and keep working with the local wheel repair shop (whom he confirmed does good work). Also should be able to get a better price on the wheel directly with him than going through the Firestone shop like I did before.

And if I decide to give up and jump on a better wheel set, he's a Forgeline dealer. They're a local company (in a Dayton suburb, Kettering) and have a new budget wheel (compared to their racing stuff) that is stronger and lighter than the stock wheels but have a similar look. He showed me the set he just got for his Grand Sport, they're better in person than in pictures. Here are pictures of a random red C7GS they have in their customer gallery: https://forgeline.com/customer-galle...e-customer-118
    Get that weak shit off my track

Looks good!