Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Honda StepWgn Spada

YW's 2021 Honda StepWgn Spada

It's 800kg lighter than the S-Max, hence isn't noticeably slower despite only having 1.5L VT3C TURB0!!!1!!! instead of 2.0L Turbo ECOB00S7!!1!!!

It's also good to be back in a Honda.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; October 9th, 2022 at 08:38 PM.

Photos?

Wiki tells me the current model has a "Waku Waku Gate" tailgate, which sounds amusing, is it?

I always enjoy seeing these minivans in Asia, seem spectacularly well-suited to family motoring.

I'll take some photos after I get it washed and coated at Keeper Pro Shop.

The tailgate is innovative in that you can open 1/4 of it sideways, or the whole thing vertically.

The interior packaging and design was far superior to that of the Serena ePower and, to a lesser extent, the Noah. The main thing that the ePower had going for it was, of course, its electric motor. It wasn't as good in almost every other way.

I have to say it's good to have a narrowish van/car again. And I haven't even put the kids in it yet!

Oh, interesting. Yeah I can imagine Honda > Nissan in general. Shame as I have a soft spot for the ePower system, it gives you the smoothness and control of electric drive without the weight, cost and range issues of a battery.

Width is an interesting one in general, obviously a wider car is more stable so should need lower spring rates / ARBs to control roll, and less importantly have more grip at the limit. But... on narrow roads I find it more relaxing to have a slightly narrower car, don't know how much is psychological but I feel more relaxed about passing cars coming the other way. 20cm+ narrower than the S-Max is a fairly big difference.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Honda > 90% of automakers.

There, fixor'd.
    acket.

Yes, I agree that the ePower system is great. Honda apparently have a similar system in a Stepwgn that's sold in Japan, but maybe the local distrib doesn't want the faff of servicing it as it's relatively new. And/or they want to keep Serena ePower sales going (they handle Honda and Nissan in HK). If they brought the Stepwgn hybrid in then I can't see who would choose the Nissan instead, as the Honda is a better car in almost every way, apart from not having a 360 reversing camera/sensor setup and the second row seats not moving left/right independently (both of which are not terribly important to me). It handles better, rides a bit more firmly but doesn't wallow as much (although it still wallows) hence is less likely to make your passengers sick, and has better steering. The 2 rear seats fold flat and there's the waku waku gate. That said we did think over the decision for quite a while.

I do find it enjoyable driving smoothly to maintain speed, including through corners, rather than just relying on the brute force of the S-Max's engine. I also don't find cvt as bad as everyone thinks it is!

Only negative is that android auto hasn't worked in HK since Jan but that's not Honda's fault. So I have been using carplay on a backup iPhone 7 (which I bought for Japanese speed camera alert duty) tethered off my S21.

20210402_110040.jpg20210523_120335.jpg

Hawt #JDM Action here.

Haven't gotten paint coated as may not be necessary yet. There is also a reason I got grey (doesn't look as bad when it's not super-clean).

Shiny yet functional
    Get that weak shit off my track

That's pretty neat. I had been meaning to Google this car to see what we were talking about here but hadn't done so yet. Shiny, indeed.

The car is now 18 months old and still hasn't done 6000km as most of the hard lifting is done are by a Niro EV. The middle 12V adapter burnt out and Honda blamed the USB adapter that I was using (which is possible).

Every time I drive this car I think about the shitty Citroen Aircross rental that I drove in September, and smile to myself as the Honda is so much better in every single way, even to an enthusiast, and even if they're both arguably shit boxes.

The new model is out, and a hybrid is available, but I'm not switching. Maybe I'll change it when someone releases a proper clean-sheet 7-seater EV that is not a Model X (or as big as one).