Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 2013 Scion FR-S

Godson - 2013 Scion FR-S

I bought a twin back in February. I'll type up more tomorrow along with my experience so far.

Get that weak shit off my track

What a jerk!

Is naaiiiccee I lik

Make sure to include, in your experience, who was faster in it...

So.

This car deserves a bit of a segue as to why.

I had banked on the Corvette as my *it* car that I develop and become known for. I wanted it to be a car I knew inside and out. Sadly, because of my hip situation and the small pedal box, it couldn't work out. Trail braking wasn't possible on right handers that required a downshift. It cost me several seconds per lap at NCM due to muscle weakness that isn't something I can go to the gym to fix, or really anything.

So I started looking, and driving anything I could get my hands on. The list was huge. From various mustangs, including a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, caymans, 911, corvettes, F-Type...the list goes on.

Then a good friend of mine suggested a supercharged twin. I wanted something quick, that made good power, and was a fun drive. I knew the base car would be slow, but the supercharger could make the difference. I'd really prefer something that had torque and a good V8 sound, but this was a decision that required purpose.

I scanned car gurus and noticed a dealership local to me has a 2013 FRS for sale with 58k miles on it. I hopped into the car and the first bit I turned the wheel, I knew this was a solid option. The one caveat, it need to pass the hip check. Which isn't something I can do on the street, because it needs to be under heavy braking.

I asked a few buddies I autoxrossed with about the twins, because a few of them had cosworth supercharged cars. One made 250whp, the other was 280. They had nothing but good things to say about the cars, the power, and the torque delivery. These two guys had collectively owned over 60 cars, and both were under 40 years old.

IMG_20210130_162350089.jpg

So I bought the car, ordered some required track components, like an oil cooler, raybestos ST43 pads, and registered for my first track session of the year in a TNiA at Heartland motorsports park. Just to see if the car could let me function with my deficiencies.

I had a great experience with the car, and even with the 400treadware "Le Mans" tires. I was impressed with the amount of grip, the turn in, and just overall happy with the purchase.

Car communicated what it wanted, how it wanted it, and responded well to the minor changes. I was able to really push the car into it's grip envelope with confidence and explore how it talked. I didn't have video, or a lap timer, but looking back at my corner speeds, I should have been in the mid 2'0x range. The only cars I gave point bys on were all making 200+ more power, and on better tires. Cars like a GT3, and LS3 swapped Miata making 500rwhp on r-comps. Oh yeah, and I gave a point by to a lone Miata, driven by Jon Hunter. Which shouldn't come as a surprise to some of you.

More later

Here is the oil cooler installation process.

IMG_20210329_172125829.jpgIMG_20210508_162910738_HDR.jpg

Photo from said event.

intermediate group48.jpg

Don't know why the one Is upside down...
    Last edited by Godson; May 26th, 2021 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Spelling, and photo...

Segue, Segway is how you would break your leg.

I missed the autocorrect on my read through. Lol

[Insert "Nice." meme]