Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen off tw°tter: What car* deserves a rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    S2000

Since I’ll never be able to afford a NSX
    S2000 would be great, and the rising values show there's a market out there.

I fear that a clean-sheet, bespoke platform FR roadster with appropriate nat-asp VTEC engine would be unlikely to appear from a manufacturer who's abandoning a successful F1 project to concentrate on zero-emission mobility.

Something that wouldn't be a second S2000 but could target the same market space would be a larger roadster based on the S660. In the same way that the Subaru R1 kei became the Prodrive P2 concept, you could potentially keep the basic S660 chassis and passenger compartment, but pull out the track and fit a larger engine, perhaps the 1.5T. Composite panels would keep fixed costs and weight low, 200hp would be plenty, the drivetrain would be carry-over Civic transverse fitment. Probably too cramped inside for the US market, but might win friends elsewhere as the Elise retires.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    So maybe a car got a remodel that ruined it or maybe its market died out, but what concept that was embodied in a car needs to come back?

I'll start:

Type 181
    There needs to exist a car that is low-maintenance, capable in soft-roads and can seat 4 adults with the top down.
    Excellent choice. And once someone has the old VW Type I platform in production again, they could also build VW Sedans (Beetles), Karmann Ghias, vans/microbuses, and pickup trucks just like in the good ol' days. Heck, they could even make a Schwimmwagen!

And I suggest some modern car company shouldn't build an "all new design" with liquid-cooled engines and automatic transmissions and air conditioning and power windows and backup cameras and bluetooth and airbags and heated power leather seats and all that other bullsh!t but instead build them just like they used to be made, complete with straw-stuffed vinyl seats, metal dashboards, and drainage holes in the floors.

Air-cooled VWs were simple and durable and affordable. Let's bring them back just as they were. I suppose they could come with radial tires now but that's as modern (and complicated and expensive) as I'm willing to go.

For a more realistic answer, how about old-school Jeeps? Here is one from the present and one from the past:

The Mitsubishi Jeep
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ#Mitsubishi_Jeep

The Mahindra Roxor
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahindra_Roxor

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Funny, because the OG was often confused for a Camaro, by the masses.
    I remember being at an auto show in the 90s, or early 00s, and overhearing a couple people talk about the NSX, saying “ugh, why did it steal the Accord’s taillights?”

I almost punched someone that day

I think Honda engineering has probably peaked during the 90's. Original NSX and S2000 were probably the culmination of their effort after their F-1 successes during the 80's. The new NSX is as good as their subsequent F-1 efforts. I also don't expect them to be able to update the S2000 that can beat the original.

IMHO, I don't need to see cars being 'born again'... quit copying hollywood studios too. Enough sequels already!

Be creative and come up with something new and able to blow your competitions away!

If I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll buy that used/vintage car and restore it.

If a model is discontinued due to low sales, I'd just let it be!

There are also legal aspect of it that could make rebirths impossible... take CRX for example, we can't possibly continue on it's light weight spirit and at the same time satisfy all of the safety requirements of today, right? After we beef up it's structures and added all the airbags, it won't be light weight no more!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; June 3rd, 2021 at 09:28 AM.

“light weight” will always be relative. My car (FiST) is 2700lbs which is light for a modern car, and could have more shaved off with body style change.

The problem is, the FiST was discontinued in the US because no one wants small light cars in the US, so there’s no incentive to sell them here. Instead people want small CUV/SUVs.

Looks like the Honda Fit is discontinued in the US as well, so yeah.. CR-X revival has zero chance of happening.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Instead people want small CUV/SUVs.
    I think the Hyundai Kona/Creta is the perfect car for consumers of medium and high income countries.

And that is problematic.
    acket.

Yeah, for the non-enthusiast these things are great… they are small, efficient, have decent clearance for pot holes, speed bumps, steep driveways, whatever, have decent storage space, comfortable enough to deal with imperfect roads, etc. Absolutely great appliances.

Sucks for enthusiasts though, because they are not at all engaging to drive.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Not to mention these cars are "gleaming alloys, two lanes wide".
    acket.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Funny, because the OG was often confused for a Camaro, by the masses.
    wait what?

Lightweight special hot hatch, like your VW Golf Gti Mk1, CRX, Corolla GTi. So sub 1000kg, about 150hp.

Nothing fancy pants, or super powerful. Just small enough to chuck around at sensible speeds.