Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

Junior Potato
    Heh. Good to see this thread taking off

Does anyone actually use Win 11?

Is there a reason why I should switch over from 10?

I have it on one of my machines. My recommendation is to avoid it at all costs. They broke some really fundamental UI stuff and I'm annoyed every time I use that machine. We're talking basic functionality, like taskbar behavior.

Administrator
    Heh, I'm using it and I both agree with dodint and also think "once you learn the new way, it's not so bad."

It works well enough for me. They did do some questionable UI changes, but it really feels like that's the main difference from 10. I don't notice much in the way of performance or stability that changed. I wouldn't avoid upgrading, but I probably also wouldn't seek it out.

However, if you do anything with virtualization, like WSL or docker, I'd recommend it. It handles all that very well.

Not being able to expand taskbar icons is a dealbreaker for me. It's such a basic, fundamental thing. I should never have to rely on Alt+Tab to cycle through all open applications just to jump to another instance of my web browser. I also had to jump through some hoops, registry key maybe, to put my taskbar at the top of the screen. Just really dumb stuff.

No, I'm not switching.
    It is only for Intel 12th and 13th gen and barely for Ryzen 7xxx (till recently Ryzen 5xxx had troubles with it, even).
    Too many bugs, useless performance problems in games and so on.

I use 11 at work. I like it more than 10.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Not being able to expand taskbar icons is a dealbreaker for me. It's such a basic, fundamental thing. I should never have to rely on Alt+Tab to cycle through all open applications just to jump to another instance of my web browser. I also had to jump through some hoops, registry key maybe, to put my taskbar at the top of the screen. Just really dumb stuff.
    Seriously? You can't even hover over the group to see them all like you can on 10?
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

It's bizarre.

Administrator
    Wait, you can totally hover over the icons to see all the instances open on Windows 11. Just did it now with Chrome, but of course the "Windows + shift + s" keystroke to take a screenshot gets rid of that expansion, so I'm not sure how to prove it.

When I hover I get the path of the application.