Thread: Drift cars at Goodwood

Drift cars at Goodwood

Is it just me, or is this how it feels when they have a drift competition at Goodwood? I can take them or leave them, but honestly I think they need to recognize what they do best, which is assembling insane and amazing cars from all genres and all over the world, instead of trying to pander to "what the kids are into these days."

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.jpg

Junior Potato
    It does seem a bit off, especially the somewhat contrived proximity barrels thing, and the commentary could do with a bit of work. But what can they do otherwise? The driveway isn't exactly a good drift course!

I see the hillclimb as a celebration of all things motorsport. They have the famous old cars, the auction, the trials riding, the stunt arena, the rally stage, and a literal yard of bricks... it's just missing a 1/4-mile! I hated drifting at first, but it eventually found its feet and its style, and I foresee the same happening for drifting at Goodwood. Maybe in 40 years time that era's boomers will be welling up all teary-eyed seeing a famous S14 making a run up the hill.

Plus it's an excuse to lay extra bits of rubber on some old rich bastard's estate so what's not to like?

I think it's pretty cool. Watching a highlight vid of the best drift runs, and I'm reminded that on other weekends they have a specific guy go up in some bonkers little car doing crazy drift stuff, and people are usually very happy to see some car do a burnout or donut or whatever.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    I think they need to recognize what they do best, which is assembling insane and amazing cars from all genres and all over the world"

Which would include drift cars

I've only been once, but I enjoyed seeing the drift cars.

It's already a hugely varied menagerie of cars from different disciplines and eras, so to me it didn't feel noticeably out of place, rather it felt cool to have another element. Plus that year they had the 787B, so Mad Mike's FD fit right in.

Drifting is super exciting these days with all the grip and HP and crazy builds. I've started to get involved in that world in the past year and it's fascinating to watch. Even better, riding along with a pro drifter is a very memorable experience of absolute insanity in the best way. And even better still, I've found the drift community here in the US to be pretty awesome.

Junior Potato
    If I was the 11th Duke of Richmond I wouldn't even begin planning of the next Festival of Speed without getting the MEXICAN HOON CARTEL on the phone ASAP.