Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still part of the Turbo brigade, but not with a hot hatch anymore!

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The unreliable BMW stigma never really had much substance behind it to begin with. Even our MINI has been a champ, we've had it for several years and all it has asked for is some new fuel injectors and a radiator (pinhole leak). It's 10 years old and has over 115k miles on it.
    Interesting. Perhaps BMW has improved over the years?

20 years ago when I was pondering whether to purchases a more practical BMW sedan or the more spartan S2000..., I was really leaning for the more practical 3 series. However, my buddies who had a 90's 3 series and the the new X5 all had experienced annoying, but expensive issues. That sort of made the S2000 choice much easier.

In retrospect, 20 years later, S2000 has 150,000 miles and still no issues. Actually, I take that back, I had a clutch hydraulic cylinder that leaked on me, which I initially thought I just needed to replace my clutch. That was weird. Maybe I just drive too smoothly. I'm still on my original factory clutch! Now I know to change my clutch hydraulic fluid every 10 years.

Anyway, I still can't imagine keeping a 3 series for 20 years though, even if its completely trouble free! But it's good to know BMW has improved on quality.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 11th, 2022 at 10:41 AM.

Oil changed for £125 all in, a much better deal than the £200 BMW would want.

Most recent fuel economy too:

Changed the air Filter, the one on the car was dated 2015 so while not the BMW original (no BMW stamp) it's been on there four or five years most likely. It got an oil change a couple of months ago as well, Petronas Syntium Fully Synthetic so I guess that Mercedes sponsorship has paid off. It also got a wash and interior valet last week too.

Added a M4 style rear spoiler. I also have a carbon look diffuser to be added too but the weather is getting very cold and wet and I don't fancy scrabbling around under the car in this weather.

Looking good
    Get that weak shit off my track

The Michelin Pilot Sport 5 Tyres finally arrived after waiting one day short of two weeks. For a site that advertises 'Fast Delivery' and has a UK Domain they keep it very quiet that the tyres ship from Europe and in my case one pair from Holland and one pair from Germany. Anyway, brake pads changed all round, new tyres and a fresh MOT in the bag for another year with not even an advisory. If you need tyres in a hurry I'd avoid Mytyres.co.uk but if you can plan far enough ahead then their prices were £100+ cheaper than anywhere online and they had both sizes in MPS5's when many others had either fronts or rears but not both.

It's been an expensive couple of months due to that!

Michelin Pilot Sport 5 x4 (2x 225/45/R18 front, 2x 255/40/R18 Rear) £783
    MOT, Brake wear sensor and Tyre Fitting £138.60
    Brake pad fitting front and rear £108
    Front and Rear Brembo brake pads: £110

The rear pads would have done another couple of thousand miles according to the OBC but I just got them all changed. I also picked up a cabin air filter which I have yet to fit but fingers crossed that will be the full extent of the bills for a considerable time given that I also had the brake fluid changed a few months ago. Likely an oil change towards the end of this year a few thousand before the OBC says it needs done.

I'm doing less long runs so overall MPG has dropped recently with the average hovering between 27 & 30MPG running on Super Unleaded from Costco.

I'm also considering a track day in it this year but haven't quite made my mind up!

Other than that no actual faults or issues to discuss or tell anyone about. I've done a shade under 8,000 miles since the last MOT in February.

There is one small developing issue. Because I'm a fat **** when i get into the car I keep rubbing at the rubber seal on the B Pillar which has now split and is starting to come away. I can't seem to avoid it when getting in and out because it's much lower than my previous cars. Will need to find some solution, but not sure what as if I replace it I'm still going to rub against it and rip the new one again.

First thought is trade it for a Coupe that has the B-pillar further aft. Only half joking.

Or, if it's not too expensive/large a seal, just consider it a consumable.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    First thought is trade it for a Coupe that has the B-pillar further aft. Only half joking.

Or, if it's not too expensive/large a seal, just consider it a consumable.
    I’ve had it for about 20 months so I may do so.

What do you think of the PS5s?