Page 84 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Season - "Big Wheels"

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    LeClerc and Zhou's Ferrari engines both failed in the same place, on the run down from Turn 3. This makes me think the sustained high lateral load of Turn 3 could be the proximate cause of the failure - it's ~180 degrees at high speed and thus high downforce.
    LeClerc's onboard really sounded like a Turbo. It had that high pitch sound like a bearing seizing or something. Certainly could be G related, especially if it has something to do with the MGU-H and Turbo connection.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Watching it over…

Perez spent the first 11 laps behind Russell and couldn’t get past. Max was way ahead of them until he went off on lap 9. Max came back on track behind Perez a few seconds back. Max caught them instantly and spent two laps being held up. So they let Max past Perez (who couldn’t get it done even with DRS over 11 laps).

Russell and Max pit on lap 14 which allowed Perez to continue by himself.

Perez pit on lap 19. Came out 9secs behind Max.

Perez on fresh tires caught them on lap 26. They gave Max 2 more laps of trying to get past Russell with no DRS and then brought Max in on lap 28. LeClerc engine kablooey on lap 27.

Perez pit on lap 38.

Max in lead by 17secs with 10 lap old tires. Perez on new tires. Russell 3 secs back on new tires.

Max pits on lap 45. Comes out only 5 secs behind Perez on 8 lap old tires with Russell 2 secs back.

Only takes Max 3 laps (lap 48) to catch Perez. Drops Russell who is now 9 secs back.

Max goes past on 49 with 17 laps to go.

Honestly watching it again I don’t see the problem. Max was clearly faster and on fresher tires. Don’t make either of them wear out their tires when they could clearly get a 1-2 finish.

They pit Perez on lap 54 for fresh soft tires to go to the end get fast lap (barely).

It was mentioned Hamilton pit twice but that is incorrect. After the initial tire damage on lap 1 he pit for soft tires. He pit on lap 23 for medium tires. Pit on lap 49 for soft tires. So he used 3 sets of tires beyond the damaged initial set. And never really had a battle with anyone until he blew past Sainz…then he had to let Sainz go…because hot outside.

Confirmed turbo/mgu-h failure on LeClerc.
    Last edited by JoeW; May 23rd, 2022 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks for the play by play JoeW! Yeah, if that we’re the case, I guess it ain’t that bad.

I would like to point out that Russell is still very much in this WDC. With the typical Mercedes reliability, the current state of Ferrari and RBR DNFs/mistakes…Russell is only 25ish points out of the fight for the big trophy. This could get interesting. We aren’t even 1/3rd of the way through the season yet.

Yep, George is the only driver finished with more than 10 points with every single race thus far! Mercedes must've been secretly very happy with him. (Don't want to make HAM feel too bad as he suffered 1 DNF and 2 races ended with less than 10 points)

However, that might also meant that, statistically, Russell will probably suffer a DNF soon?

Anyway, I don't care which driver, it'd certainly be awesome to make this a 3 way fight. Mercedes is down but definitely not quite out yet.

As for the current contenders, Max has suffered 2 DNFs vs Charles' 1 DNF, yet Max is still 6 points ahead! LecLerc seems to only able to win when Max failed to finish... so if current trend continues, Max will probably be able to defend his 'title'. This might be the race that Leclerc beat Max on track, but too bad his car denied him the chance...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 24th, 2022 at 07:21 AM.

This just in...

Max is now tied with Fangio on the all time win count. 1 win from tying Lauda and Clark. If he wins only 7 more this year he will be #6 all time...passing Stewart, Mansell and Alonso. Another 11 gets him past Senna. While passing Senna isn't likely this season considering RBR reliability woes, it is certainly "possible" by next season. Lots of weird shit can happen between now and then though.

Edit…just read that LeClerc is already on his final components in the turbo/mgu-h area and could face penalties moving forward. That sucks seeing how it’s only 6 races in.
    Last edited by JoeW; May 24th, 2022 at 10:29 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    While passing Senna isn't likely this season considering RBR reliability woes, it is certainly "possible" by next season. Lots of weird shit can happen between now and then though.
    Max Verstappen isn't likely to equal Senna's win ratio of 0.253, because he would need 17 wins from 15 GP starts. Lots of weird shit will happen, but let us hope it doesn't get that weird.

However, if Leclerc wins the WDC by Abu Dhabi, he'd done it with 102 GP starts, 39 less than Verstappen.
    acket.

Yeah luckily LeClerc didn’t have to drive for 6 years behind the unbeatable Mercedes.

I’d say the only reason Max could “possibly” accomplish some serious career records is because he started so early. If he races to the same age as some other older racers he will smash most of the participation trophies. Especially if they keep adding races.

But he’s a hard one to read. If he wins a few WDC will he retire “early” because he will have already raced for so many years or will he want to continue until his late 30’s?

Charlie boy is reminding me a bit of JV, just very lucky to be a right places and the right time... from Indycars to F1. Obviously he's good enough to be better than his teammates... from Vettel to Sainz, but I'm not sure he has WOWed me yet like Max has.

George Russell has wowed me more often in a Williams... and now kicking HAM's ass is pretty darn impressive too. But is George really that good..., or perhaps HAM is just getting old?

Looking forward to the future F1 seasons with these new star drivers... Not to mention others such as Lando and perhaps some other future lengends? I'm really hoping F1 will no longer have another Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton type of dominance with these rule changes... I don't need to see drivers break anymore records, I just want to see more closer racing!