Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need third-party software to reformat an iPad without the original passcode?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    That would make it attractive to thieves - if they knew they could wipe and reuse/resell it.
    I mean, it would, but it would also make it more usable for the people who actually own it. I doubt my parents know their own password, I wonder how easily they could get locked out of their own device and end up just having to buy a new one.

I lean towards the "discourage thieves" - these are valuable and easy to steal items. Having them locked in a way that makes them almost worthless for thieves is good.

As for owners - you need a passcode and that should get you by for almost everything. How often or easy is it to end up in a position where the passcode is not enough and you need the apple id password?

Administrator
    Well, I think we already have an example that it can happen where you can't get into it. I also am happy for you that you have older relatives who do not constantly forget their passwords/passcodes!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Do you have their email account passwords or access to their email? Just have it send a reminder to the email address attached to the apple id.
    I will try this but made the time to do it yet.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Epilogue: I found the original Apple ID and password in a very obvious place where I hadn't thought to look before.

My wife now has a new (to her) iPad Air 2.

My evil plan is slowly coming together, even if it is taking up too many threads at this forum.

Junior Potato
    Excellent…