Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Billi vs the World

Administrator
    But he didn't punch everyone. In fact, the reason he "cancelled" himself is because he thought that some of his fans thought his punches were going towards one group when they were really going towards another. That was his whole point in leaving his CC show. He quite famously felt like the direction his punches were going was being misinterpreted, so he clearly wasn't punching everyone.

By punching everyone, I meant he essentially made fun of everyone. I thought he’s an equal opportunity puncher.

He also walked away from huge sums of money because he didn’t want them rich folks controlling him. One of the main reasons he’s partnering with Netflix was because there are enough mutual respect for one another.

If netflix was all about making money off of Chappelle and keep him under their control, surely he would’ve been canceled by now.

Dave just doesn’t want others controlling him. Not media execs nor any PC groups. He was clear that last episode would the the last time he punch back to the T community. So hopefully that’ll really be the end of that flame war between them.

If this drags on anymore, it ain’t gonna be funny no more…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 17th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.

Administrator
    I get what you meant. I disagree. I don't think he did make fun of everyone. And I don't think he does that now.

He's publicly said why he walked away and that wasn't the reason. From GQ's writeup:

Quote Originally Posted by GQ
    You ever hear the one about the famous Black comedian who disappeared when he realized the white people watching him were laughing a little too hard and likely for the wrong reasons? Deal with white people long enough, especially the ones who’ve enjoyed enough episodes of “The Wire” and Wu-Tang albums to believe they’re in on the joke, and you can easily understand why Dave Chappelle walked away from $50 million rather than tape a third season of Chappelle’s Show for Comedy Central. He was fighting for his life.

I honestly can't believe there are 113 posts in a thread title Billi vs the World.

Shocked I tell you...

Administrator
    My shame knows no bounds.

Administrator
    As an aside, one thing I noticed in that video was the host kept talking about how, at a death metal show, the singer had pissed on someone's face and then apologized for it, and there was a lot of "well, what do you expect from a death metal show?"

It wasn't death metal. It was a group called "Brass Against" that do brass-instrument based covers of songs by bands like Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, Living Color, etc etc.

I've been to a ton of death metal shows. I don't even expect them to be pissing on anyone's face. I don't think anybody expected that from basically a ska cover band. But that whole thing is presented as fact in that video, like not only did it happen the way he said, but that "of course it did." It shows a lack of bothering to know what you're talking about, and an assuredness that you're correct about it.

I know that's not about Peterson at all, but it struck me listening to that. I was like "I'm aware of this incident, and it's not at all what this guy is saying."
    Last edited by Tom Servo; December 17th, 2021 at 04:28 PM.

I’m not familiar with that performer at all. However, was that fan who got pissed on enjoyed it?

I assumed that fan enjoyed it?

Anyway the thing we need to consider is who really has the ultimate authority of what is correct?

PC group? Conservative Christian group?

Law is simple. We can easily figure out if something is legal or not by checking with existing laws. Even that may be up to court interpretations sometimes…

However, when it comes to being ‘correct’, who’s to judge? Obviously each group have different ideas of what is correct… when groups disagreed and believed differently, what are we to do?

The bigger more powerful group shall just force the smaller weaker group to apologize or else beat the crap out of them? Or perhaps people can just agree to disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I honestly can't believe there are 113 posts in a thread title Billi vs the World.

Shocked I tell you...
    Maybe DN could start one for you too! JoeW vs the world in the racing forum?

Administrator
    Presumably it was pre-planned as the audience member was earing a gopro on his head, from what I remember. The rest of the band weren't expecting it though and were pretty disgusted with their singer.

But there was a presumption by the host (that Peterson appeared to agree with) that death metal fans are just the kinds of people that would do that. I've been into death metal for 30+ years, and I am not like that. Nor are any of my friends who are also into death metal. I actually did find that pretty offensive.

I think there's also a duty to let people know that that kind of thing is going to happen at one of your shows. Back when he was alive, people knew what they were getting into going to a GG Allin show. People know what they're getting into when they go see GWAR. I think people rightfully had an expectation that this would not happen at a trombone cover band show.

I don’t know the band nor any metal music well… was that incident pre planned or spontaneous? Who knows?

Let’s just removed all these ass holish people out, and maybe even exclude ourselves too and go with whatever unspecified generic issue for a moment…

When 2 people or groups of folks disagree with one another and maybe even find each other offensive…, after depleting each other’s patience trying to figure out who’s really correct… what should they do next?

[edit]
    I guess you’re not interested in answering, so I’ll just answer… I think baby Jesus would want us to do like prodigal son’s dad. Personally I’m not sure if I could be that obedient… to give my no good kid his inheritance before I die? Anyway, that’s what the parable was indicating. To just agree to disagree like that while never holding a grudge. I don’t think I am at that level yet, but at least I try to aim toward that.

Anyway, merry Xmas!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 24th, 2021 at 10:59 PM.