Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Billi vs the World

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    I would argue that CNN shouldn't have hired the brother of a major politician who is certainly going to be covered in national news in the first place.
    Generally agree with that sentiment, but what if a famous political family has someone really wish to be a journalist? Just because of his name, he can’t pursue his dream?

Companies probably just shouldn’t hire families of famous politicians to be board members. That’s not really a legit career path…
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 4th, 2021 at 05:22 PM.

Administrator
    My twitter feed was full of examples of journalists who didn't pull strings for their family members/loved ones/friends who got themselves in hot water, so I'm hesitant to say you shouldn't be hired. I think existing journalistic standards (make a specific note of any potential conflict of interest as part of the story, don't go interfering with other stories) are good enough, and I think CNN did the right thing in terminating him as soon as it was found out. And I'm glad to hear that, Billi.

I’m kinda with josh, but kinda not… if I’m CNN, I’d like to give somebody who really loves journalism a chance… not to give the famous family member a job to score political points. I’d also have him sign a conflict of interest form to never report anything about his own family.

This COI agreement might also help save my employee too when his brother gets into trouble…

Getting too closely associated to your famous family can have its disadvantages I guess…

Anyway, yeah, I can’t blame CNN for whatever it wants to do.

The kind of cancel culture I don’t like is a frantic mob ‘believing’ someone should be canceled without solid evidences.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 5th, 2021 at 07:22 AM.

Administrator
    For someone who often demands a black or white answer to things, that's a surprising amount of nuance.

Sometimes things can be pretty black and white… like George Floyd and Harvey Weinstein.

Other times it can be like Dave Chappelle and KR…

There’s always a correct way of doing things…, that should be pretty black and white. Is something just or not? Such answers should be pretty black and white, but execution of it in the real world will have nuance I guess.

Prolife and prochoice are not black and whites.

Police unnecessarily executes a poor black suspect and mob prematurely cancels a rich powerful suspect are both clearly wrong and ideologically driven.

Unfortunately Americans now tend to just see their ‘party’ as right and the other ‘party’ as wrong.

When we see the same exact thing and reach different conclusions, then we are probably not dealing with black and white no more. Somebody is getting it wrong.

Unless we have solid evidences to prove anything otherwise, it’s probably best that we let people do what they believe is right while not force others to do what they believe is wrong. We should try to achieve freedom of beliefs without going into fights! Of course we’re not there yet. Each party just kept on trying to force the other party to do what they don’t want to do. Such is politics I guess?

When it comes to politics, religion and sex, people tend to end up wanting to rape one another. We just need to really learn how to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Police unnecessarily executes a poor black suspect and mob prematurely cancels a rich powerful suspect are both clearly wrong and ideologically driven.
    It is deeply insane that you are suggesting these are equivalent.

On one hand, some people think that a major corporation shouldn't pay someone who is already a multimillionaire more millions of dollars to broadcast him talking about how an oppressed minority is mad at him and shouldn't be allowed to be mad at him because they think he's an asshole.
    On the other, an extrajudicial murder by police.

THESE ARE NOT THE SAME THING
    When it comes to politics, religion and sex, people tend to end up wanting to rape one another. We just need to really learn how to love one another.
    WTF?
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    When it comes to politics, religion and sex, people tend to end up wanting to rape one another.
    We have had our disagreements on each of those subjects. I can confidently say that I never once thought about raping you. So...uhh...speak for yourself there, turbo.

Swervo, just saying in general and in a figurative sense. That’s why people tend to want to avoid such discussions. For example people feel like I’m raping them when I preach about ideas they don’t want to hear… or sandy making a creepy joke and Cam felt very uncomfortable about that…

People often find it very difficult with these highly sensitive topics. Obviously not very many are interested in these types of discussions with Billi.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 5th, 2021 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    It is deeply insane that you are suggesting these are equivalent.

On one hand, some people think that a major corporation shouldn't pay someone who is already a multimillionaire more millions of dollars to broadcast him talking about how an oppressed minority is mad at him and shouldn't be allowed to be mad at him because they think he's an asshole.
    On the other, an extrajudicial murder by police.

THESE ARE NOT THE SAME THING

WTF?
    Point is we can’t skip proper due process. I don’t care if it’s for poor black or rich white, police or massive mob. Don’t understand why I’m insane to insist on that.

As for CNN, I think clearly they hired the name when things are going good. When it goes bad, they’ll just drop him. It’d be better if companies could just hire and fire based on job performance only. Anyway, for sure that’s not the cancel culture I’m unhappy with.

Ah capitalism... do what you think is best for your dollars!

I thought you were a big fan of them doing whatever they think is best as long as its not illegal.