Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Billi vs the World

Fuck Christmas.

Y Werry Christmas to you too!

Administrator
    When I was in my early 20's, some friends were over and we were taking turns at the keyboard + mouse playing Quake 2 CTF. At one point, I said that the other team "raped" us. That's when I found out a good friend of mine had been raped. She was not as gentle as I'm being letting me know how belittling that was, how it discounted what she'd been through and what she continues to go through. Since then, over the years, I've found out that the number of people I love that have been raped is way higher than I would have thought.

You didn't apologize. You apologized "if that's the impression" that I got. That's not apologizing, that's putting the onus on me. *I* got it wrong. You then followed it up with whataboutism comparing the utterance of "Jesus Christ" and "fuck", neither of which have the same connotations as rape. I'm sure you find Jesus enjoyable, and fucking is often enjoyable, rape isn't. Then even when you claimed that you did apologize, you followed up by calling it political correctness anyway.

To me, this fits in with the "Billi vs. the World" theme. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that you seem to be almost incapable of admitting that you might be wrong. You respond to everything with a defense/deflection, often combined with demanding that everyone else admit some sort of wrongness, like "say something bad about Obama" or "say something nice about Trump" or "admit that saying Jesus is bad."

At any rate, I got my word in. I'm disappointed, but I don't know why I am, as I don't know what else I expected.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; December 8th, 2021 at 06:54 PM.

If you could remember that incident vividly back in your 20s, naturally that must have made a huge impact on you…

I was more like the 20yr old you; however, I don’t think I was using that word lightly. Pretty sure some people here find more than just a word from me offensive, but pretty much the entire speech!

Anyway, like I said, I can only apologize for hurt feelings and I will do my best to avoid unnecessarily hurting other peoples feelings, but I honestly didn’t think it’s that wrong using that word to equate ‘shoving things down people’s throats’. I thought they’re pretty much synonymous. I also don’t agree with them regarding their feelings about my speech, but that’s just how they feel..

Anyway, I’m disappointed too… that our discussions had to be halted because of a word. However, if you feel that strongly about it, I guess it’s understandable that this happened and best I can do is to promise to you that I won’t use that word again unless it’s used to describe an actual incident.

I suppose this is another issue why people don’t like to talk about politics, religion and sex… because we all probably cannot agree with one another exactly what is right or wrong and we end up getting too emotional about it and that’s all part of being human I guess.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 8th, 2021 at 07:49 PM.

Your "I think our current culture is also a bit too easily offended" is worse than your trivialising use of the word rape.
    Now its not that you haven't considered how your actions are, its the world that's soft.
    You know I like you, I have time for you. But Ill say this here... dont be a shit.

Dont justify, deflect etc.
    You dont need to apologise. But I think you do need to understand. Someone has pointed out how other could feel about it. And that this "others" could be a reasonable number of people and something you might not know about them. So just think really really carefully about using the word.

Our discussion has halted because you are incapable of considering others. You know - one of the basic concepts that the Jesus dude was about.
    Hint - you are also pretty cavalier with Nazi. You use it a lot. These words can have a much stronger impact on some people and you need to realise that and be careful with their use. Not saying dont use them, but you use them so often and easily it does seem like you consider them trivial.

You know, I do always try not to justify and deflect when it involves issues with the wife. It's best to avoid arguments with the wife at all cost. If I really screwed something up, I will now just quickly apologize and fix it. If I really don't believe I screwed anything up, I'll try to sort out the misunderstanding. I have made plenty of mistakes justifying and deflecting in the past when blamed by my wife and I've learned to be better now.

I think it's just human tendency to do that when they're 1st blamed by somebody... supposedly happened with the very first humans named Adam and Eve?

Anyway, I believe I do need to apologize for hurt feelings and I meant that sincerely and I've also promised to not use that word again unless absolutely necessary...

I really don't mean to be so shitty about it, and I really believe we ought to raise our boys better rather than just tell them to hush up about usage of certain words. Of course I suppose it won't hurt to do both.

I think the situation I'm in is kinda like what Dave Chappelle went thru. No, I'm no Dave of course, at least not as rich nor as funny, but this incident can also kinda explain why I thought Dave was just being his usual self while Swervo thought Dave is going down a misguided path and not very funny... and you probably thought Dave is being shitty as well? Point is that it's just very hard to draw a line and define exactly what is hate/offensive/shitty speech. Safest approach is probably to become more PC.

Lastly, I wish to point out that although Jesus loves everyone, he often does say things that sounded offensive to some people. End result is of course his crucifixion. Now, I'm not saying everything I said sounded like what Jesus would say, just that sometimes what sounds offensive may not always be incorrect... being nice is nice, but even Jesus cannot be nice to everyone all the time. Everyone has different personal stories. Jesus would know such stories and adjust accordingly when engaging somebody personally. When delivering a public sermon, offending somebody will probably be inevitable. When that happens, should that be considered as hate speech and be banned?

If you can't see that Jesus talked bad about those who abused power and didn't use language that trivialised or traumatised victims.

And its not that you are talking bad about people - its the language you use that can hurt your audience, not your target.
    When delivering a sermon, dont abuse your audience.
    I dont remember Jesus saying something like "those Romans are a bunch of lepers"

How would you interpret mat 13:12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

Dude, seriously, trolling aside, just take the L man. No one is right 100% of the time.

If I really think I’m right 100% of the time, I would not bother apologizing and promise to not use that word again.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 10th, 2021 at 07:04 AM.