Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Billi vs the World

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Lesson learned, I guess.
    acket.

What lesson? Did you tell JoeW?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Is it?

Its a balance. Is it worth throwing out all laws for 1 life?
    Is it worth losing the WHO over this issue?

What if breaking that law and saving a life results in a war that kills millions???
    Would you want this to be the thing that ends in a Chinese invasion of Taiwan?

WHO can't make this decision on their own, they answer to the UN. Got a problem, take it to the UN.
    But I dont think the issue of not dealing directly with Taiwan over the pandemic is the way to go about confronting the China/Taiwan situation.
    Want to break this off of the pandemic thread, but it's not related to religion so posting it here...

What would be the point of taking something like this to UN? Forget China/Taiwan for now, just look at Russian/Ukraine. What could UN do?

Not much.

So what's the point of taking it up to UN?

I think UN, EU, and even huge governments like the US government are in similar boats. They try to act they're just and fair, but those with actual power could always get in the way, preventing these organizations from doing the right things. So in the end, people lose trust in these institutions and what we end up having is these anti-establishment sentiments all over the world.

Of course I'm not proposing we go extreme and be like Trump supporters; however, I also don't think we need to defend the CCP, WHO, UN, EU and even the US government as if they can't do anything wrong... these 'experts' must know what they're doing. That's their full time job. What do I know...

I think the issue of WHO not being able to deal with Taiwan is different to Russia v Ukraine. The Russia issue could go to the UN, but the way the security council is setup with veto by any one of the permaments (which is Russia, USA, UK, China, France) means that you can never get a vote against one of them. Silly system, way outdated. Probably should need a majority of permanents to veto.

But the issue is about WHO. And they are powerless in who they get to deal with, they can only deal with UN nations - and that does not include Taiwan. If they did deal with them then the repercussions could be major. Much worse that not getting info from Taiwan.

Im only defending WHO on their position on Taiwan - that is out of their control. This is not praise - just explaining that its far from a simple issue. And it shouldn't take away from what WHO did do and what they are suppose to do.

And yes the UN is weak for not stepping up and just acknowledging Taiwan. But when I say "the UN", that means a majority of countries in the world. And China is becoming very good at spreading money and influence... Unfortunately it learned that from the USA.

I don’t disagree with any of what you said there. So the earlier statement of taking my issues up with UN is really pointless. UN isn’t going to listen to me. Even if majority of the world population agrees with me. China could easily veto Billi.

So bottom line is that though you felt they’ve done a reasonably good job, I hope you also understand why I disagree.

I definitely cannot say that you not running the red light as an average drive is wrong. Traffic laws are definitely on your side, but if the stranger passenger is somebody who I love and dies because of that red light and you were just lawfully waiting out a red light without cross traffic, can you understand why I’m a bit upset?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I don’t disagree with any of what you said there. So the earlier statement of taking my issues up with UN is really pointless. UN isn’t going to listen to me. Even if majority of the world population agrees with me. China could easily veto Billi.
    Well then can only veto the Security Council...

I definitely cannot say that you not running the red light as an average drive is wrong. Traffic laws are definitely on your side, but if the stranger passenger is somebody who I love and dies because of that red light and you were just lawfully waiting out a red light without cross traffic, can you understand why I’m a bit upset?
    But that's such an over simplified example its ridiculous, it doesn't reflect the outcome from making that decision.

Is starting a nuclear war worth it??

See how easy it is to play that game and give a question with an obvious answer and say "cause that's what its like"

Not trying to say WHO faced a simple problem and could solved it with a simple solution. Acknowledging warnings from Taiwan is not acknowledging Taiwan is part of China or not. Taiwan had more accurate report, but due to a nuclear threat, we’ll just ignore that inconvenient truth? Sounds like a reasonably good job to me. It’s better to have some get sick and die rather than risking a nuclear war… I suppose that makes reasonable sense.

However, just wondering, under what conditions would you risk a nuclear war?

Every time a bully threatens you with it, you must give in? For the sake of world peace?

If Taiwan were in charge of WHO, this pandemic could possibly be prevented. Taiwan has learned from SARS. WHO could not utilized the lessons learned. Regardless whether Taiwan exists or not, WHO just couldn’t risk offending China for a lot of reasons.

To me, WHO botched their response. Similarly our very own CDC botched it too. And amazingly our CDC director admitted to the same thing! Hopefully they won’t repeat the same mistakes again!

Anyway, I really don’t think WHO was afraid of starting a nuclear war… WHO and CDC were both not prepared and corrupted politically. They were acting more politically than scientifically.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 19th, 2022 at 08:17 PM.

If you think this could all of been avoided by listening to Taiwan then you are extremely optimistic.
    Look at how it was handled even after it was identified. And remember each country is responsible for their own actions, WHO has no control over countries.

I wouldn't say "corrupted", maybe "restricted"...

Of course there are no guarantees. However, I think it’s clear that most progressive nations handled the pandemic the best so far, not just Taiwan. America’s response was kinda all over the place… at 1st to close borders with China…, and then claiming it’s all a hoax…

WHO/CDC just need to have a more consistent protocol in place and not flip flop back and forth due to whatever reasons. If the science isn’t clear, then we should be playing things on the safe side…

I have no issues with restrictions in the beginning. That’s what’s needed at 1st. When there’s no plan in place, then it makes ‘corruption’ of the system much easier.

Point is that I don’t believe those ‘experts’ were faithfully following the science. They were more politically motivated. And then these politically motivated experts would shut people up if they question them.