Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Billi vs the World

True. But that’s assuming you’ve been an ignorant fool when you 1st enter into politics or become a college professor!

I also don’t think Andrew Yang changed for the better. Likewise Obama. AOC could also changed to become the next Nancy Pelosi. Learned to be more pragmatic is nice for self preservation I guess, but not something most people find admirable.

Of course the ultimate guy who doesn’t need to learn anything is Jesus. Interestingly both the right(Pharisees) and left(Sadducees) rejected and crucified him. That’ll teach Jesus to learn!

Administrator
    You don't necessarily have to be an ignorant fool. Another way to look at it is to not think you already know everything.

Jordan Peterson read a lot of stuffs and knows a lot of stuffs but I don't think he ever made the claim to know everything. I don't think Bernie Sanders made any such claims as well. It's just that most of the stuffs that they said over the years seem to ring very true to me.

As for the gender pronoun issue, hey, that's pretty new, right? Is there really scientific data we can back it up that we can just self identify as something? I can self identify as a 'born again' christian! Can this be proven scientifically? Nope. This is just what I believe. Even Jesus himself didn't expect other people to treat him nicely and make him feel good. We gotta do what we gotta do to be true to ourselves. I get that. I really don't believe Peterson is against that. The issue was should govt get into this business of forcing others to acknowledge something they don't quite believe and we don't really know with at least some degrees of scientific certainty.

Should government really get into the business of regulating PC speech or perhaps prayers? You don't like to be forced to pray or even listen to prayers, likewise there are people don't like to listen to and speak PC.

We have assholes all over the world, I just don't think we can enact sufficient laws to turn all assholes into nice guys. Just leave people be and let them learn how to be nice themselves. We can just criminalize actual physically harmful behaviors to protect people and maintain some order...

I don't 'believe' Peterson and Chappelle are assholes, but of course I could be wrong. Its just that we all gotta live in accordance to what we believe. You guys also are allowed to live in accordance to what you believe in. Governments just need to stay out of the belief regulating business... and just focusing on stuffs that's actually causing obvious harm... and try that stop those 1st. There are a lot of people being hurt, not just the trans folks. Plus, the trans community is not just a Borg collective who all think alike. There are plenty of transgender people who love Peterson and Chappelle.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 3rd, 2021 at 09:18 AM.

Administrator
    I'm going to disagree with your argument that we even need to assert that gender self identity can be scientifically proven. If you work in a public institution, I think the government has every right to tell you how to do your job. In the meantime, I notice you're still not arguing that he not be able to call various races by epithets, it's still specific to gender.

Which is the crux of my problem. Even if Peterson is taking this principled stance against government overreach, he's doing it on the backs of trans people. He's making them the example. He doesn't appear to be doing this with any other protected class. He isn't insisting that he be allowed to call women "broads" or Germans "krauts." They are the ones that are potentially suffering at his hand so he can make his point. It's like bullying one kid to try to protest that the principal can't tell you what to do. There are better ways to do that that don't involve hurting an innocent party to prove your point.

That still smacks of asshole to me, even if it is a principled stance.

I still don't think it's specifically about trans people..., it's only because they're creating new words and it's one thing if population slowly picks up on new terms and making it into our language and culture... vs having government mandating it. If we come up with a law compelling everyone calling black people only as African Americans and nothing else, I'm sure Peterson would bulk against that as well. As you stated, perhaps Peterson simply misunderstood the law? There's no such law in place instructing us how to address African Americans. We don't even have a law against the N word, right? Yet the entire Western community knows you have to truly be an asshole to use that word without government telling us you can't use it.

Anyway, I understand how you feel about Peterson. A lot of folks here think he's an asshole. I get it. However, we all just have different ways of seeing the same things. Who's correct and who's wrong? There's really no way to tell. That's the main issue I think... when something is so controversial, government probably should just stay out of it.

It's really quite amazing how people can see the same thing and perceive differently. Take the bible for example, let's just forget about you atheists and agnostics for a moment... Christians can often interpret the same passages differently. Who's right who's wrong? Only Lord knows. In the mean time, we all can only live in accordance to what we choose to believe... but also remember at the same time don't see others who disagree as assholes. I don't agree fully with Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc... however, I do still see them all as brothers in Christ. It is very possible I'm the one who's wrong theologically, but I don't think Jesus saves people based on people's understanding of proper theology... we're supposedly saved by faith. Anyway, plenty of Christians fall into this trap of thinking other Christians who interpreted the bible 'incorrectly' as heretic assholes who should goto hell too. I suppose that's just human nature.

Scientific reality is that everyone has an asshole. We should also try to focus on other body parts.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 3rd, 2021 at 11:08 AM.

Administrator
    Billi - is Chris Cuomo getting fired part of cancel culture?

I think he’s kinda like the parents of Michigan shooter…

If his bro’s situation is still unclear, and CNN prematurely fire the brother, that’d be wrong. However, at this stage of the game, it’s kinda hard to feel sympathy…

Cuomos and Al Franken are just not quite on the same level, right?

If it is clear there’s a long history and cover up… and it’s something that can be criminalized, then that’s that. I don’t have any complaints about that. As for the accomplices, should they be criminalized? Not a legal expert here, but like you said, CNN is seeing him as a liability. I was not aware of any mob trying to persuade CNN to fire him?

Anyway, Al Franken was just not in the same league, right? However, I can understand congress was probably under the same pressure as CNN except there was nothing criminal going on.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 4th, 2021 at 04:36 PM.

Administrator
    Not to jump on the RWA bandwagon here, but I honestly have no idea how to parse that word salad.

I would argue that CNN shouldn't have hired the brother of a major politician who is certainly going to be covered in national news in the first place.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Billi - is Chris Cuomo getting fired part of cancel culture?
    Let me compact the salad a bit… to answer your question, no.