Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I'm going to put a jet engine on a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    (and how heavy was that motorcycle? Was it heavier than you?)
    Yeah even without the engine and trans the motorcycle was probably over 300lbs, maybe 400. The bike weighs about 100, let's say 110 with the jet, fuel tank, and fuel on it.

Looking forward to how it goes!

Good luck, stay safe and have fun

Ok, so, first thing is first, it's pretty much done. Secondly, visually this came together amazingly and I think I may have created one of the absolute most badass bicycles in existence. It occupies an alternate reality where the modes of transport in the Jetsons came true.

But lastly, I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do with this. This is not the Jetsons, and society just wasn't structured around people blasting around on jet engines. It's antisocial, it's menacing, it will damage the hearing of anyone who comes near it that isn't wearing earplugs. Not to mention it's just terrifying to be around when it's running. It idles at 34,000RPM. I really think I may have gone too far here. Maybe I should just shelve this and settle for a nice ebike conversion.

Thus far I have not actually ripped around on it under jet power, but I did take it to the most remote local park I could find just so I could start it. It seems to be getting air bubbles in the fuel lines somehow, not sure what that's about.

1R5_1067.jpg

1R5_1074.jpg

Fucking wild.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Not gonna fuck it, but it looks wild!

Junior Potato
    It DOES look visually stunning!

However there is an imbalance in that the headlight and engine are a similar size. Maybe you could source a smaller headlight...

...or a bigger jet engine

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    It DOES look visually stunning!

However there is an imbalance in that the headlight and engine are a similar size. Maybe you could source a smaller headlight...

...or a bigger jet engine
    If you look back at the photo on page 1, you'll see I swapped out the headlight. That IS the smaller headlight. The old one just made the whole thing look way too frumpy and front heavy. I like this one. Any smaller and I wouldn't be seen well at night. I also like the comet shape of this one as it lends itself to the long design of the bike.

Anyway, I took the jet out to a local park for another test run yesterday. There was a kids baseball game going on on the other side of the park. They would have definitely heard it, but I stayed pretty much out of view, so they probably just thought it was a plane.

Luckily there was much less air coming through the lines this time. I almost reached full thrust and didn't see much air. I thought maybe I had a restriction somewhere in the fuel system that was causing cavitation of the fuel. (Essentially too much suction in the fuel lines causing the fuel to vaporize from the vacuum force.) Since the engine uses half a liter of fuel per minute at full thrust, it's very possible to have too much of a restriction in the lines. But the main line from the tank to the fuel filter device that runs most of the length of the bike is 3/8", so I should be ok. I also modified the cap on the fuel tank to be able to vent more than it did originally.

When I got close to full thrust I could feel it trying to push the bike away from a standstill, so that was pretty cool. I think the only place I can really let this rip without bothering anyone will be on some roads on the outskirts of the Detroit airport, so after the holiday weekend I might ride it out there and actually ride it a little.

So awesome man!

You know, I’m beginning to think you might need to install a head or back rest or something?

You know, just in case the jet engine breaks off at full throttle… it won’t impact you directly?

Kinda wish you installed 2 engines on the sides of the rear wheel. You could disguise them as bike exhausts! Harley Davidsons will sound like kiddie bikes compare to yours!