Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Godson - 2022 SCCA Time Trials Max3 build

I though the timelapses worked well in this one, and stopped at good spots to point out interesting stuff, like the nice hex bolts retaining the rotors rather than those stupid little phillips screws some cars have, and the parking brake was interesting.

The torque tube was a fun one to look at as well, I liked the transition from the tube to the flange/bolt locations, it looks like the same design could just be aluminum and work fine, but maybe not. One of my friends has a couple very over-engineered Volvos, he did a custom aluminum rear axle to replace the steel one on his 242 and saved about 50 lbs.

Also liked going through the use of the whole rear suspension, makes sense that you want to get the bigger brakes and wheel bearings, especially if other guys are running through wheel bearings quickly.

Anyway, I liked it!

Latest Episode, or "Shift" is up.

A few things.

I have recorded a lot of these videos a while back, the beginning of December, and prior to any of the feedback you guys have given me. One of these videos is pretty echo-y, and that is with a heavy amount of post processing. There will be one more episode with old recording, and the possibility of echoes. This video has a lot of work being covered, but no fabrication. More of the engineering bits in the upcoming episodes.

https://youtu.be/zRcd0k4P1EQ

Really liking it so far.

Must be fun to take apart a car and not give a shit about it going back together. Aka, if you scratch it here or break this plastic piece there it doesn't matter.

I have tried to preserve as much as I could, but there have been a few "fuck that design" moments.

But for the most part some of the parts are worthwhile and valuable. But the nice thing is, not having to put much of it back together after it has been removed.

I'll begin working on the next video this week. Once that is done I'll be up to date on all of the changes and video recording without any of the old stuff.

I *still* need to figure out the audio recording over BT with video. But things are definitely shaping up.

I'm only a minute and a half in, but the oil cooler reminds me of a team with a Ferrari we had in World Challenge back when I worked for SCCA Pro (it's getting to be a long time ago, like 2007-2010, and I don't remember the model). The team was asking to relocate some coolers from a similar position out at the front corners because they were so easily damaged in actual wheel to wheel racing.

edit: I was curious about the earbuds and bluetooth audio, I had suggested a clip on mic but it does seem like the earbuds would likely provide equally good audio, if you're getting audio from them! In any case the audio you've got is not really a problem, just an area for possible improvement. The audio starting at 1:00 in the video sounds really good, to me at least!

I'm probably just dating myself at this point, but again back when I worked in World Challenge the Corvettes had the biggest throttle bodies at, as I recall, 90mm diameter, the Maserati looks about the same! I don't know about more modern cars are through.
    Last edited by retsmah; January 30th, 2023 at 07:32 PM.

It's comical how shit of a location it is. What's worse, I don't really have a better place for it on the Scion on initial thought. We shall see though. I'm nowhere near figure out that stuff just yet

I think I was actually remembering the Gallardo's radiators, which are in a similar location!

Airtowatercoolingresized.jpg

Cool skid plates, bro.

Honestly, put them where you want them. Cut a hole, make a scoop and a duct.

A duct on the top of the car could be pretty cool. Or add some NACA ducts to the sides.

Man, that location is fantastically bad.