Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GR Corolla Official

Honestly. It just comes down to preference. For the people that like Rally cars this is for them.

I may be interested but only if I can buy one without a markup.

Car and Driver estimated the price range to be $30k-$40k USD for the base and top end GR Corollas. So it's closer to the 86 in price range than the Supra.

A new Supra is cool, but it only seats 2. Agree that it's for those who like rally cars.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Far too much cash for a little box like that. So many more good values out there. For that money I’d buy a new Supra or something like that.
    Supra here was 30k more than the GR Yaris.

Also, Supra is a BMW. So that's just all kinds of reliability nope too.

Fo sho.

One exhaust tip per cylinder is serious business.

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Toyota really struck a balance here - I actually like the bigger of the two rear spoilers on this. The Civic Type-R was just offensive to look at, but this manages some nice aggression.

Since the chance of a new rotary Mazda - or even the once-rumored production version of the RX-Vision with Mazda's new twin-turbo I6 - is essentially nil, if I am going to buy a new Japanese sports car before combustion engines and manual transmissions are gone from new cars for good, it's going to be the new Nissan Z, a Miata, or this Corolla GR, I think.

On the classics market, I think the prices have gone well beyond where I feel like I'm getting reasonable value. Lesson learned - I should have bought a CYM 1993 RX-7 R1 that I saw on BaT (before they were all auctions) back in 2014. I'd have had to sell my Challenger at the time - I was not exactly flush with cash at that point, being out here in CA only a year - but I'd have paid $17,500 (a very good deal even then) for a car that I'd probably have to pay $60,000 for today. Seemed risky at the time, since the Challenger was still under warranty and 17 years newer. Oh well.

I'd been saying for years - I'm sure I posted about it here and at previous iterations of this forum several times - that when Gen X and older Millenials got into their peak earning years, that 80s and 90s Japanese sports cars would skyrocket in value, just like muscle cars did when the Boomers got money. Unfortunately, when I started to see prices move, my wife and I were knee-deep in buying a house. Financially, it worked out great for us - our house is worth 65% more than we paid for it in 2017, and we were able to lock in at just about the absolute bottom of mortgage rates with a refi at the beginning of 2021 - but while I now can pay $35,000 for an FC or $50,000 for an FD, I just am not interested in paying that much for something that I *KNOW* is going to give plenty of expensive problems. I actually bid on a few FCs on BaT over the past 18 months or so, but every last one went for thousands more than I was willing to pay.

Right now, I think the best value in any of the classic Japanese sports cars is the S2000. Yes, good ones cost about what they did new - not accounting for inflation - but as long as you get one that hasn't been totally thrashed or put into a wall, they should be reliable. Rebuild costs don't seem out of line, either, compared to a Porsche Boxster. If an opportunity presents itself to get a nice AP1 before the prices go crazy, I might just do that. But if not, I'm glad there are a few last exciting cars to look forward to before the party is over for good.
    Last edited by KillerB; April 4th, 2022 at 06:27 PM.

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Regarding this vs a Supra....for me the no manual is a no go on the Supra (yes, paddle shift, blah blah). Vs an 86, that's a much tougher argument for me. I need to test drive a new 86, but it's still not a hatchback, not a lot of storage space and I do like more storage/seating options.
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

I think the Twins are excellent in terms of packaging. Sure the rear seats aren't terribly useful for holding adults, but when you think of how light the car is, how stiff, how well it handles and the fact it can still get out of its own way when you put your right foot down, you can carry a decent amount in it. Four oversize wheels and tires, plus all your tools and jack and a couple helmets and backpacks in the trunk. To me it's one of the few cars that "drives small" and still lets you carry that much.

KillerB - you were right with your prediction on 80s/90s car values. I thought they would go up in this rough timeframe, too, but I wasn't prepared for just how much. I think I didn't account for the amount of inflation that would happen in the 2020s, nor the general sense of scarcity and "gotta jump on it"-ism that's been going around.

The SW20s haven't become unobtanium price wise either, though they can need a bit more work to recondition than an S2k just due to age and engine accessibility. A handful have gone for relatively big money but they are the exceptional super low mileage cars. I'm seeing a resurgence of MR2s (mainly SW20 and ZZW30) in general in recent years, likely due to a combination of the YouTube effect spreading the word of how they drive and the ease and availability of new engine swap options (K-series and 2GR mainly).