Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

I don't know enough about the 570S or 650S to comment on them. I imagine the reliability of the newer models to be improved, but I can't say that with any certainty.

I was compelled to look up the current value of the dollar vs pound since I've seen some nice MR-Ss over there being advertised for peanuts in great shape, plus $100k doesn't seem like a lot for a 650S. Today it's £0.83 / $1.00. Not bad. I think our used car market in the US is just bonkers right now and it may be more normal in the UK.

Shame about the rust on the FD! It wasn't showing up as bubbling paint? I hope it's not too dear a fix for you.

I'm expecting to sell this next car for a chunk less than I buy it for; normal depreciation on a five year old car is fine. However I'd like to feel I could sell it in two or three years without losing a disproportionate amount due to a market slump or whatever, given values are relatively high at present and economic clouds are looming here in Europe.

I can "afford to" lose all the money, in as far as it's extra money above what I was anticipating having, but it would be a shame!

Not really keen on deferred gratification, I feel money buys you more fun the younger you are (smiles per pound) so arranging things to end up rich when you're in your 60s is sub-optimal.

There was a single bubble of rust on the wheelarch, however even when I took the car in to the bodyshop and they looked at it to do the initial estimate, they didn't spot the sills - I think they'd gone from the inside out. Rust is probably the biggest issue here with cars over ten years old, so something to watch out for!
    It's a pity, but the cost of sorting it isn't that bad given what I've agreed to sell it for. The bodyshop doesn't seem to be too expensive in terms of rates.

Used cars generally have gone up in price here too, but they were probably cheaper before than in the US, and additionally our currency has sunk, so probably those two factors make them relatively decent value.

Yes, if I have extra money that I could afford to lose, I’d definitely consider buying a fun car to enjoy right away, or take a trip to a place Where I always wanted to go… or invest in crypto currency or some other crazy high risk things!

Point I was trying to make was that we probably shouldn’t worry too much about resale value. Just assume the money is all gone, used to purchase the awesome experiences. If it ends up having great resale value or if your risky investments ended up making profit, just let yourself be pleasantly surprised!

I'd honestly stay away from the trick aero and crazy suspension.

There's an old saying about buying a watch. The more things on the watch, the more things to go wrong. From what I had gathered by my local McLaren friends, that trick suspension wasn't the most reliable when it came out.

Super shitty to hear about the rust

I just saw a couple 600LTs in person, and I think that's what you need to get. I have no idea what they cost or what the ongoing maintenance will look like, but this is your money, not mine!

Yeah, they look pretty cool and the top-exit flame-spitting exhausts are sweet. The fact it won Evo COTY is somewhat encouraging, too.

Honestly though, they go for around 50% more than a 570S, so I'd have to finance a chunk of the cost. I imagine I could find someone to lend me it, but while I'm happy to blow the money I have on an indulgence, committing future money on top of the already scary maintenance costs is where I personally draw the line. One could make an argument that the 600LT will hold its values better and thus is a sensible choice, but I'm not gong that far. Also I hear quite a few of them have needed replacement gearboxes since although it's the same box the gearchange software is more aggressive, perhaps a bit too aggressive.

There's also the fact I was blown away by the steering and brake feel on the 570 I hired, so I'm not desperate to have something even more 'exciting' at the cost of some civility, and the extra cost.

But... They look bonkers.

As a slightly related comment, given the general wideness of economic downturn, you might be in a good position in say (picks a random number) 6 months to really burgle a good deal on something fitting the description "interesting but useless expensive toy car".

Would the GBP tanking and inflation spirallingreally make it cheaper to buy a Mclaren over the next 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    As a slightly related comment, given the general wideness of economic downturn, you might be in a good position in say (picks a random number) 6 months to really burgle a good deal on something fitting the description "interesting but useless expensive toy car".
    I thought that when COVID hit and the cars I was watching shot up in value.