Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Well, here in NZ, the market appears to have peaked, and cooled.

Yeah, I agree. My observation was mostly a recognition of my own annoyances with the 2020 car market. I sold a car I probably shouldn't have so I could buy a car I never purchased. Lame.

Right now I'm in a pause. I bought the Saab because it was a good deal that I happened upon. I do want to buy a different vehicle in the next year but I'm waiting for a market drop.

The FD is gone, as per the other thread. While I still loved it, I don't think I'll regret selling a car I've had almost a decade with. I only have two car 'slots', if I'm going to experience different things I can't keep cars forever.

I do agree about unpredictability, I never thought houses, cars etc would shoot up as a result of the pandemic, but they did.

Currently I don't see prices rising, starting to fall off if anything. Chris Harris echoes Leon's view on the market just starting to slide https://collectingcars.com/stories/a...-of-the-market .

I think probably I'll just keep going towards buying something exciting. I was surprised how much I miss owning a "sports car", a sports estate just isn't the same. It was fine when I had one of each, even if I rarely drove the RX-7, just having it in the garage defined me as a "sports car driver". Now I'm not, and I miss that self-image in a way I didn't expect (having had something sleek since 2007 when the 180SX landed). Silly, I know.

Anyway, next step is getting the garage doorway widened, it's a bit narrow and a bit awkward to get a car into, I *think* it could be quite readily made quite a lot easier. I called a company that claim to do this, they said their surveyor would call me and he hasn't, will chase next week.

I may also visit the closest McLaren dealership just to try and sit in a few more cars and talk all things 570.

Unless I became broke and really need the money, I don't think I'll ever sell my S2000. So I guess I will always be a 'sports car driver'.

Yep, you are silly. Nice to meet you, I'm Billi!

Have arranged to see this car on Sat
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02206257156841

It's not super high-spec but has the nose lift (essential) and carbon interior trim I really want. Standard manual seats are as in the car I hired, which were totally comfy, so happy with those and dodge the weight and bork factor of electric ones.

Volcano Yellow is a colour that looks different in different lights, but the pics I've seen all look good. I always wished I'd found a yellow RX-7, so not averse to this.

They've just dropped the asking price by £10k, which makes it look decent value for a main dealer car that comes with a year's McLaren warranty.
    Last edited by samoht; October 13th, 2022 at 02:35 PM.

Looks very sharp

Agreed. That looks the business. Love the color.

Business?!?! I don't know what kind of business needs a car like that...

However, surely it'll be a "pleasure" to drive regardless of color! £10k off asking price also sounds good to me!

and... have just cancelled seeing that car.

Reason is simple, I've got someone coming to estimate widening the garage door next Tues, but I just found out the earliest they'll be able to do the work is January (!)

I'm 95% certain I won't be able to get the McLaren into the garage as it is, and the alternative is to leave it on the drive right next to the pavement for three months in winter. I'd worry about it being sat there, it'd also be an issue for insurance, and block the Merc in.

I was 'assuming' the garage ppl could get it done within a fortnight of agreeing the estimate, but apparently garage work is very popular right now. You know what they say about assume.

So back to waiting. I am however going to Hatfield (my nearest dealer) tomorrow just to try and get as much info as possible about McLaren ownership. We'll likely be away over new year, then I'll be back in the market mid-Jan.

Dang.