Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

I'm not a huge fan of red but that Volcano Red is very nice. Looks like it has some fuschia tones in the metal flake.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of red but that Volcano Red is very nice. Looks like it has some fuschia tones in the metal flake.
    I agree.

I found a white one in Washington recently… does not look very good.

https://jalopnik.com/mclaren-600lt-s...1849109808/amp

The lack of damage is pretty amazing. It's like it hit the guardrail at like 20 MPH.

It's funny, other people have mentioned feeling worried about driving somebody else's supercar to the extent of it hindering their enjoyment, but I seemed to succeed in putting to the back of my mind any possibilities of a negative outcome such as the above to my three-day trip. Partly the car, partly the friendly hire place, partly my mindset which seems increasingly inclined to assume a positive outcome To be fair, I didn't even slacken the stability control to Dynamic mode, let alone turn it off.

The width of the 570 is quoted as 1915mm (75.4") 'without mirrors'. Sounds good, however 'without mirrors' doesn't mean 'with mirrors folded', it means with them removed altogether. 'Folding' the mirrors merely pivots them around their mounting point, reducing the full width of 2095mm by just 5cm to 2045mm. Which could be tricky, as I only have 2100mm across the doorframe of my garage! (Just under 7'). I think a new garage door, removing the wooden frame and giving clearance back to the brick pillars, will be required. Luckily the garage itself should be wide and high enough to get the dihedral doors fully open.

The other issue is that Atsuko isn't so keen on us owning such an ostentatious car. However she's always taken a bit of persuading with new car purchases - it was about two weeks between 'why did you get this car?' and 'I really like the new car' with the Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    The width of the 570 is quoted as 1915mm (75.4") 'without mirrors'. Sounds good, however 'without mirrors' doesn't mean 'with mirrors folded', it means with them removed altogether. 'Folding' the mirrors merely pivots them around their mounting point, reducing the full width of 2095mm by just 5cm to 2045mm.
    That reminds me of some of the more optimistic motorcycle non "wet weight" figures omitting literally all fluid (not just gas) and battery weight.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post

The other issue is that Atsuko isn't so keen on us owning such an ostentatious car. However she's always taken a bit of persuading with new car purchases - it was about two weeks between 'why did you get this car?' and 'I really like the new car' with the Merc.
    Oh, I think this will be the greatest of all issues! Didn’t realize this might be the issue originally… although I’m the one bringing home the money, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be shopping for any cars without my wife’s pre-approval…

Do it, man.

So, a 'no news' type of update, just in case anyone was wondering what was up.

The first reason things are stalled is that I've still got the RX-7. Basically in the process of selling it I discovered that the 'small' rust hole in the floor that the garage had mentioned when I picked it up in May, is actually the whole floor and sills are rotten.
    I actually demonstrated the car to a potential buyer, we've agreed a price on the basis that I get the floor fixed first.
    It went in a week ago today to a local bodyshop, they took a few days to make a start on it, then discovered it was worse than they'd estimated. I'm still waiting for a final estimate to approve the work.
    Ideally the buyer will hang on for the car, he seems keen (enjoyed the passenger ride when he came over). Obviously the quicker I can get the car back the better the odds the arranged sale goes through.

Then I need to work out how much widening the garage entrance needs. There's an easy ~14cm from eliminating the wooden frame, which just means fitting a standard up-and-over door. If that's not enough it would need to have some brickwork carved out or otherwise re-arranged at least at wing-mirror height.

I'm still bearish on the used McLaren market overall, so not in a tearing hurry to purchase. Still very keen to get a McLaren though!

In the meantime, my gaze has been attracted by the 650S, eg
    https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13660302

2014-16 650s are around £105k, so the same rough price range as the 2016-19 570s.

Advantages are trick interconnected anti-roll suspension, active aero, more power and torque. Plus the Spiders are the same price, whereas the 570 Spiders are mostly pushing the budget. The looks are growing on me.
    Disadvantages are older, a bit more complex, perhaps less refined as an earlier design. Interior is less practical with higher sills, no glovebox/door pockets, doesn't look as good to me. McLaren warranty is £5k vs £3k on the Sports Series.
    The 650S didn't review as well as the 570 did when new, unsure how much that was because the latter was cheaper vs actually more fun, cost no object. Conversely owners seem to rate them.
    I suspect they may depreciate a bit less, being older to start with. Unsure how the Sports Series falling out of the McLaren dealer network will affect values.

I'm fairly sure they're a bad idea, whose only value is to make buying a 570S look like a sensible option.

Hard to predict the future..., I think one has to be really rich with special privileges to be a car collector like Jay Leno? If it's within your budget and you really love it, just go for it! If resale value is really that important to you, then perhaps you should buy some other 'investments' that'll actually help grow your money! Maybe you should consider buying a bigger house with bigger garage?

Hope that rust on the RX7 won't cause you too much trouble...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 16th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.