Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Id argue that if your spent 37% of you planned amount of time or gone thru 37% of the cars on your list, then pull the trigger, otherwise you wait til youve reached that 37% threshold.

Anyway, sounds to me like youve found the one Id be really surprised if you end up finding a more impressive car.

Junior Potato
    Firstly, pinch yourself on the fact that you drove... a McLaren.

Secondly, spec that baby up now and start monstering that cheque book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Awesome!

Id argue against waiting.
    Prices are less likely to drop with the current supply issues of new cars.

And the sooner you have a car, the sooner you can enjoy it.
    There is that. But even a thousand quid is a thousand quid of petrol. Or the price of a Bedford Palmersport full-day trackday.

Sounds like it was a very enjoyable experience! So what color are you eyeing?

Would you track a McLaren like you have your RX-7? Trackday insurance is surely available in the UK as it is here. I'm sure it wouldn't be inexpensive for a 570S.

It was fab.

I'd hope to get it on track occasionally, yeah - I've not done that many with the RX-7 lately but I do think the Mac would need to go to a few tracks. Yes I have taken insurance in the past and would need to for this. "The basic cost for insuring a 100,000 car varies from 450 to 950 per day." ( https://trackday.moris.co.uk/track-day-insurance ). Which is "ok" to do occasionally.

Colours... now we're talking.

I think I want a bright, colourful colour, if you see what I mean. But not the orange the hire car was, that's too flat except in direct sunlight.

I think my favourite is the Vega Blue:

Or maybe Lantana Purple:

Napier Green is good:

I also really like Volcano Orange:

The Volcano Yellow is also attracting me (perhaps because I regret not getting a Competition Yellow Mica RX-7)

Is this red too Ferrari? Or goes well with the black bits?

It's going to be tricky trading off colour against the other factors in a used car purchase, I don't want to end up buying a nail just because it's painted a pretty colour (!). I think probably I'll try and ignore the boring while/silver/black cars, and hope that if I'm open to a range of colours, I can end up with something I like.

Opinions welcome

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Partial to the metalescent blue.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by CudaMan View Post
    Fascinating! Thanks for posting this. This feeling is not something I noticed in an RX-8 among the several I've driven (hard and commuting, stock and modified suspension). If this suspension phenomenon is the reason behind the non-linear feeling of the NC, perhaps the longer wheelbase and extra weight of the RX-8 makes it subtle enough that I don't notice. [In fact the RX-8 is one of the best balanced/feeling chassis I've ever driven]. I definitely didn't notice this non-linearity as much on my super stiffly sprung NC MX-5 that I had for a few months. I had been guessing the strange feeling was present in stock examples due to some way of designing a soft suspension around long squishy (and thus very non-linear) bump stops. But that wouldn't explain the very fast initial turn in before the suspension begins to move in roll.
    I used to love David Colemans writing/ articles when he wrote for (edited?) Sports Compact Car magazine. I still think his S13 (Disco Potatoe) was the ultimate project car as the decision making about what parts would go on it and why was clearly and intelligently thought out and elucidated to the masses and fanboys in the pages of the magazine.
    Jason (Engineering Explained) on youtube is almost as good as DC was in breaking down engineering concepts for the masses.

Would love to see him (DC) given an unlimited budget and see what he could come up with in a high horsepower sedan (think BMW M5 competitor,) a high horsepower sports car, bang for your buck sports car (car and mods- $30k for instance,) and a vintage car.
    The last one intrigues me the most as the owner of a vintage BMW 2002. I'm inclined to think he'd go with a 2002 (it has its limitations though,) or a Datsun 510 but i reckon he'd most like go with a Datsun 240Z. Many, given that same task would pick an American vintage car for the easy high horsepower upgrades, but handling on a lot of them is Achiles heel although a lot have available modern front and rear subframes to rectify the factory shortcomings. Thing is, once you get over a certain number horsepower wise, it gets harder and harder to enjoy your car on the streets. Which is the unending allure of the Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Thought about something like a Hawk Stratos?
    6:26. Those clocks. Can anyone make out the make or model.

Regarding colours... Yeah, I'd agree that you should reserve red for you next fun Ferrari car later!

My personal preference for this car would be Volcano Orange (Because McLaren), Lantana Purple (Because I haven't seen that many purple supercars) then Napier Green(Because you need to at least pretend to be environmentally friendly!).

Anyway, yeah, I'd agree with you the flashier the better.

Of the colors you showed, I like the Napier Green the best. Then the Vega Blue.

Just doing a search for colors for the 570S is difficult. Looks like they had a plethora of them. Which makes sense for an almost bespoke car. Of the colors I have seen, my favorite is the French blue color, Curacao Blue. But that may be too hard to find. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-f07b5a1df4d2/

Vega Blue looks fantastic in natural light. Closer to a lighter blue than a darker in the picture, really like that color. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0...-555bfa3cb45a/

Red is way too synonymous with Ferrari in that arena. And I'm not a big fan of Yellow except on very specific vehicles.

And if I ever make it over there again, I'll buy you some ice cream at the pub if you'll give me a ride.