Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Hope everything goes well so you can get this car!

The person saw my suggestions as potential competition and buckled under the pressure!
    Get that weak shit off my track

I guess you should rewrite that book and call it: Kchrump: the art of the deal!

So, McLaren Hatfield generally thought the car seemed in good condition, wouldn't put me off buying it. There were however a few issues, mainly (a) the radio wasn't working (b) the front suspension arms need replacing as the bushes have gone and (c) the brake pads were crumbling all around.

The dealer think the current owner can get (a) done under their existing warranty. They tried to tell me (b) and (c) weren't important, but I've not accepted that. They're hoping McLaren will fix (b) for free as well.

The brake pads still have plenty of thickness (80%), but there are small parts that have come away around the edges. Unfortunately they didn't remove the pads from the calipers to inspect them fully, they recommended either doing that, or just replacing them.

Issue is, it's £1800 for a full set of brake pads, and my concern is if the pads fall apart it might damage the frightfully pricey discs (as discussed above). I guess I might meet them halfway on this one if they can sort out everything else. A possible help in this situation is as the car is Sale or Return there are three parties involved, the owner, the dealer and me. So the dealer can potentially put a bit of their commission into the pot to make the sale go through, as well as the owner.

I'm still telling myself I could find a car at a franchised dealer that would presumably have these sort of things sorted out for similar money, so I'm not of the mindset I have to get this car at all costs. Having said that, I do like it and hope to get it, so will be prepared to be a little bit flexible to make it happen.

Neat, good for you for sticking to your guns. I hope it works out!

Went to see the car again yesterday.

Got to walk all around it this time. There's a stone chip on the passenger door which could use a touch-up to make it less visible; plus a couple on the wing mirror arms (no big deal). It seems like the PPF has done a really good job protecting the majority of the exposed panels, and it's just a few of the less obvious places without PPF which have been hit. Still, overall it seems really good cosmetically.

Had a test drive, it was short but just long enough to remind me why I love these cars, the steering is so good. I prefer the alcantara wheel in this over the leather-wrapped one in the car I hired last summer. I think the slightly softer / more refined 570GT is perfect, a bit 'nicer' ride than the 570S, lacking some of that car's impact harshness, but the steering connection is still spot-on.

There was a bit of a rattle when the engine was at 1,000 rpm, which was annoying but I'm sure is a loose heat shield or similar resonating, and nothing serious. They'll try and find it, otherwise I'll try and get McLaren to do it under the warranty I'm taking out on the car.

The suspension arms and radio will be fixed by McLaren under the current owners warranty, although the radio I'll have to wait til September for them to get parts.
    Finally the salesman agreed to a compromise on the brake pads - I'll add another £900, and they'll fit new original McLaren pads all around.

So that's it, we've agreed that they'll address all the issues and then I'll buy it for £102,900. I'm really excited! Just trying to stay patient while they sort the issues and get it ready to collect. It's my birthday next month...

That car looks so much better than the other one. The orange really shines in overcast conditions.

Woohoo!

So happy for you that everything worked out!

Can’t wait to see all the cool adventure pics… of course probably won’t be as ‘sexy’ as Kchrpm’s pics, but I’m sure I’ll still be able to enjoy them!

Woohoo!!!

Fantastic!
    Get that weak shit off my track