Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Just buy which ever you love the most and hopefully it’ll go up in value as well!
    I agree with the first part of this quote. It's a rule-of-thumb in motorcycle circles where buyers are generally spoilt for choice. Buy the one that gives you the biggest hard-on.

But the second one about value.... that should not be part of it.

Once you start worrying about value then you start worrying about mileage. Then it just sits in the garage looking pretty. Then you’re THAT guy.

Yeah, I think that’s the problem causing me a hard time figuring out which fun car to buy…

For my S2000, I just pulled the trigger as soon as I figured out that I could afford the payments and insurance… and there were not any other options!

Lastly, most cars will lose value, but I suppose it doesn’t matter if you never plan to sell?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 11th, 2022 at 06:54 AM.

Not bothered about investments per se, if I can't enjoy this money now then it's unlikely I'll enjoy a slightly larger sum in the future.

However, I'd hope to get a car that will hold most of its value going forwards, so I can sell it and do something else with the money in future if I want to. So not something like a new S-class, which is a hundred grand car when you buy it and a ten grand car when you come to sell. Fortunately most of the cars I'm thinking of are probably reasonably well set to hold ~80% of their value over a couple of years, I think, being fairly focused performance cars not sold in huge numbers.

A 911 GT3 (996, 997 or 991) is a possibility, I know people rave about them, the prospect doesn't really excite me but maybe if I could get the chance to drive one I'd change my mind.

I know that quite a few McLaren owners have issues; the 570 at least doesn't have the special linked dampers that fail, but there are a few other known troublespots. Seems it's not just the great steering they got from Lotus ;-)

Supra is coming out with a manual, could be an outside possibility.

Am thinking how to get a chance to try driving some of the cars I'm most interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by samoht View Post
    Am thinking how to get a chance to try driving some of the cars I'm most interested in.
    Yes, you should spend some money renting some of the finalists on your list or at least test drive one before buying one? I rented the S2000 prior to my purchase and that only made me fall deeper in love!

Looking forward to reading your reviews in the future.

Honestly if it doesn’t interest you just by looking at it then pass and move on.

Every car interests me in some way, but sadly I can't afford every one of them like Jay Leno!

Thanks to this thread, I did not realize I'd be struggling to come up with a fun car that I'd like to buy or even recommend! I wonder if it's because modern day cars have lost something or am I just getting too old? At least for Honda, for sure they've lost "it". I think they peaked at S2000. Nothing in their line up excites me anymore.

I'm fortunate enough to have a rich high school buddy who made partner at some law firm... so that I was able to test drive couple of Ferraris... he originally had the 458 and then he traded it in for the 488 Pista. He also has a 911 as a daily driver. I fully enjoyed driving them all, but my favorite is still the older 458 mainly because of its NA high revving engine... just like the S2000!

Maybe I've lost something as I've gotten older? Maybe I need to get back to playing Granturismo some more...

Anyway, hope you find that new love you're looking for samoht!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 11th, 2022 at 09:37 AM.

Think about all the other fringe benefits of fun/dream car ownership:

What car would your inner 12 year old want you to buy?

What car would you want to see on your watch, phone, computer, and TV screensavers?

What car would you want to excitedly tell people about every time they stopped you and had questions?

What car do you already own several pieces of clothing related to?

(maybe these questions only work for me.....)
    Get that weak shit off my track

Anyways, I’m pretty sure everyone here was stoked when you got your dream car!

I find the type of cars I like to daydream about, often rely on what sort of roads I daydream about driving.

So for example, I had more fun driving my modified 1300cc early 1990's sh*tbox, than I did driving my Evo X. Reason being, the roads I wanted to drive on are relatively speaking, slow and winding. So I had more fun driving the wee sh*tbox at 10/10, than I did driving the vastly more capable Evo at about 4/10ths.