Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Sucks

You should be able to get universal catalytic converters

Man, that sucks!

Anyway, yeah, get some cheap aftermarket converter. Should be better than straight pipe.

Heard a lot of stories about stolen CATs around my neighborhood too. Particularly on big trucks and hybrid cars.

Man, I also have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe! However, US has 10yr/100k mile powertrain warranty though. I wonder why they don't do that for Canadians... Anyway, so far my engine is still good. Knock on wood. I think even if I do have the warranty, there's no guarantee Hyundai will have the parts if something goes down with my car... I also have a 2017 Kia as well with the same warranty. I'm hoping that my car will remain in good conditions before warranties expire in 2024 and 2027. Then I'll probably replace them and hope the car market will return to normal by then...

Hard luck chief.

I got... lucky. My 1995 E320 died when my Africa Twin refused to start. Same time that my wagon was aggressively marking its territory everywhere I parked. All this was back in February. So I bought a2013 BMW 535i. Love the car, hate the payment.

Today, decided Drive the wagon. Didnt give any grief or leave oil slicks everywhere. So I decided to try and start the bike. Again. It's refused to start since February. Darn thing started.

Rode it around just doing errands.

I'll be back on it tomorrow for my work commute. 50mpg with regular unleaded is better than 30 mpg with premium (BMW) or diesel (wagon.)

Yeah, I wouldn't get an OE catalytic converter for a vehicle that old, but we just have an OBD2 scan for emissions testing. I couldn't say how picky a sniffer test would be if using a cheaper ceramic cat.

Catalytic converter theft is big here; the thieves know that our policy doesn't let us chase them in their stolen cars with their stolen cats.

Ugh man. So I decided to cave and asked my other mechanic to install cats in the van. It'll be cheaper than the other guy - around $800. Been doing daily deliveries and the fumes are unbearable. I can even smell it while driving with the window open. I'm always afraid of getting pulled over. Plus my customer doesn't want me backing up to his door anymore so we have to load/unload the van in the lot, which is annoying. Mechanic has the parts but not the time yet. Hopefully he can get it done by the end of the week. I'll be parking the van inside the shop every night once it's done.

The Acura alternator situation was a shit-show from hell. When I last spoke about it the warning message was coming up. The next morning it started and I should've just taken my chances and driven it to work. Instead the mechanic told me to charge the battery first. So I boosted it with the other car and I think we shorted it out, so it was completely dead. Had to call a tow truck that morning. It took forever for the guy to come and when he did arrive it took forever for him to hook it up. Unbeknownst to me, an AWD car should be towed on a flatbed. This was a regular tow truck but he did have dollies to raise the rear wheels. He put the car in neutral and pulled the parking brake and attached the rear dollies. All was good and off we went. On the way another tow truck driver on the road started hailing him telling him that the car's rear wheels were touching the road. Apparently the dollies weren't tight enough and therefore my rear tires were only a couple of inches off the ground, and scraped the ground whenever the car bounced. After all was said and done this resulted in flat spots on the rear tires. Terrific. I can't even sue the tow truck company because I signed a waiver holding them harmless for any damage, prior to hooking it up. I knew something was off when it was taking the guy so long to hook it up (literally 45 minutes). I remember I asked him how long he was doing this job and he said "one month". So fuck they sent an inexperienced driver. I suppose I could complain to them and ask them to help contribute to buying new tires. At worst leave them a bad review.

Good news was the warranty covered the cost of the alternator but I had to pay for a new battery. Car definitely needs new tires though, it's a pretty rough drive. The front tires were already balding on the inside because I had neglected to do an alignment even once in my almost two years of ownership. I went to an alignment place and the guy was honest and told me don't waste money on this and get the tires changed first. The rear tires were good...until the tow, now they're fucked too.

Last week I put the car up for sale on Kijiji (our version of craigslist) and had a couple of inquiries but nobody serious yet. Might have to spend $40 or so to bump up the listing and get more visibility. I'll wait a little while and then start dropping the price. I was thinking if the tires are an issue for a prospective buyer then it can always be part of the negotiation. I'll put some cheap Chinese tires on there.

It's going to come down to what gives first - my desire for money, or my desire to get rid of this headache on wheels with a dark cloud over it. All I know is I want this car gone.

Hey hey hey, why you gotta dis chinese people like that? Why don't you put on some cheap indian tires! Or perhaps you have to be more PC and call it Covid tires or something.

Anyway, hope 2022 begins to blow for you soon...

I meant cheap as in cost. I had Chinese tires on my old Accord in its final few years and they were quality tires.

The more politically correct adjective would be better value or cost effective, not cheap!

Seriously, iphones are made in China. Can't really describe them as 'cheap'.

Anyway, just messing with you. Hope you can get your sucky car issues under control soon...

I remember shopping for tires for my Accord as it got older, and older, and older. "I'll take four of your cheapest tires, my good man!

Tires from countries ending in stan seemed to last the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, just messing with you. Hope you can get your sucky car issues under control soon...
    Thanks man, I hope so too. Hopefully this week. Been getting some offers on the TL but kinda low. I think they're used car dealers contacting me.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I remember shopping for tires for my Accord as it got older, and older, and older. "I'll take four of your cheapest tires, my good man!

Tires from countries ending in stan seemed to last the longest.
    My old Accord served me for 16 years, and in the first 8-10 years I would only get 'Genuine Honda" parts for everything from brakes to suspension components. Even tires were the expensive OE Michelins. Near the end of our time together I got more into the cheap aftermarket stuff, which I would have to replace every spring, (bushings, ball joints, control arms, etc), and eventually switched to Chinese tires.