View Poll Results: Who will win a championship this decade? Select all that apply

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charles Leclerc

3 75.00%
  • George Russell

4 100.00%
  • Lando Norris

3 75.00%
  • Write-in (post below)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 Champions of the 2020s?

F1 Champions of the 2020s?

Last year saw the first member of the new generation of F1 drivers become champion. However with Lewis likely to race only another two or three years at most, that raises the question of who else is going to win a championship between now and the 2029 season.

The three listed drivers seem to me to be the most plausible members of the new generation to win titles - most of the rest of the grid have either been beaten already by team-mates and/or their careers have stalled out.

So, who else do you think will win? Or are we instead going to see Max become the first ever eight-time world champion?

Explain your answers below...

Man this is tough. Those 4 all have a great chance especially if they can move to a top team over the next several years. Max has shown he is a force of nature at overperforming the equipment he is given.

I predict the Mercedes package taking over the Ferrari dominance next year. And that does not bode well for RBR. But with a new set of rules and some new meat coming (in 2026?) there could be another shakeup. Especially if someone like RBR (who don't "really" make their own engines) commits to a new company like Porsche...what if the engine package is awful? (I hope not because I like Porsche and hope they come in and kill it) That's the end of their run. It's so hard to predict. But if Max/Lando can find their way to top teams then I think they are the top two guys. I'm not a George fan. I like Charles but I am not sure he's a killer like Lewis and Max yet.

And who knows? If Max retires early like he seemed to indicate, then it could be wide open after that.

Junior Potato
    Verstappen might get 2 or 3 more. Hamilton might get his 8th. Russell will get 2. That leaves two more: LeClerc and someone from F2 who hasn’t graduated yet.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Mick might or he might not.

That's what his career has shown thus far.
    acket.

I'd like to hope if Lawson gets a RB drive, he'd do pretty well. Pulls off some great overtakes in F2 when the car is setup well.

Sainz probably has an outside chance of winning one. He has proven that he could hang with Lando and Leclerc… and super adaptable in various teams.

It’d be cool if there’s another rising star coming up in the pipeline whom I do not even know yet…,

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Sainz lacks the killer edge. Some guys just don't have it.
    acket.

That’s what I feel about LeClerc also. He’s fast but not a true killer.

How do you define killer edge?

I think Leclerc and Sainz are just not mature enough, that’s why the occasional mistakes. However, I get the feeling that they’re both super competitive with their teammates.

Sainz couldn’t edge out Lando, but he was closer than Ricciardo!

Sainz also hasn’t been able to edge out Leclerc, but at least parity between the 2 Ferrari teammates are not too big. Once they’re more mature and able to handle more pressure, surely they’ll make things difficult for Max.

George has been exceptional so far, every time he’s in a Mercedes, he managed to make Hamilton look bad most of the time. If he keeps this up, Hamilton should join Vettel soon.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 31st, 2022 at 09:16 PM.

Every decade of the world championship has seen between five and seven different drivers take the crown, except for the last which was limited to Vettel/Hamilton/Rosberg. I'm expecting between one and three further names to add to Hamilton and Verstappen.

I do think team is a big part of it; at present there are three 'big' teams, so it seems most likely that Merc, Red Bull and Ferrari will continue to win most or all of the championships. It's entirely possible that another team, McLaren for instance, could have a breakthrough year and take it, but to for any individual team to do so feels like an outside chance. Neither Alpine nor Ocon look like champions to me.

So I'm going obvious and voting for Russell and Leclerc to be the other two winners, because they're the two with an obvious path to victory.

Lando either needs McLaren to make a step to the front, or to change team. The big opportunity I see is who replaces Lewis at Merc, because that's a potentially winning seat that'll open up at some point in the next few years. So Lando might, but slightly more likely not as I see. I do think he's good enough from what we've seen - some great laps, consistently scoring well in races, and putting Danny Ric well in the shade when the opposite was anticipated.

IMHO Mick Schumacher hasn't really looked like a champion yet, he's not obviously better than K-Mag, who isn't.

Carlos Sainz is an interesting one. In my opinion he definitely looks good enough to become a champion if the cards fell his way, and has stood up impressively well against both Max and Charles as team-mates. However there's a very high level of competition in F1, and he's clearly at Ferrari as a 'number two driver'. So I reckon less than 50% chance for him, but it wouldn't be a shock if he did nab one.

Of course the fun of discussions like this (and the previous one 'Max Verstappen, future world champion' http://gtxforums.net/showthread.php?...world-champion) is that we get to come back later and see how our predictions compared to what actually transpired.