Thread: Why the A110 isn't available in the states

Why the A110 isn't available in the states

...because many Americans still get behind the wheel without wearing a seat-belt.

At least, that's according to David Twohig, who was the chief engineer. He's just posted a piece on The Intercooler (paywall) talking about weight reduction and using this question as a case in point.

Basically, the mandatory US Federal safety standards include tests where the front occupants are not wearing seat-belts.

To pass them, the whole front end of the car needs to be designed to absorb the crash deceleration more slowly, while the larger airbags ensure the passengers are caught 'like a baseball glove' into them. Conversely in Europe, it's assumed the occupants are belted up, pre-tensioners cinch them down into the seat, and the crash protection can revolve around the assumption that the driver remains firmly attached to their seat.

David suggests that the A110 would have needed to be 'more than 80kg' heavier to pass US crash tests, perhaps getting on for 10% more added to the 1100kg Alpine. This is a very significant difference, and would have compromised the lightweight ethos.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to hear this from the horse's mouth, so to speak, and surprising that the difference in crash test standards makes such a significant difference to the whole car - I thought it was just a matter of installing slightly larger airbags and job done, but it's clearly a much more far-reaching challenge to meet.

I don't necessarily know that every car is 10% heavier than it need otherwise be solely to protect unbelted occupants from flying through the windscreen, or whether it's just very lightweight cars like the A110.

Incidentally The Intercooler are posting some really good stories, David Twohig who did the Qashqai, Zoe and Alpine, Ian Callum who styled a number of great British cars of the last couple of decades, as well as my long-time fave Henry Catchpole. But I can understand if £5/month may not be an attractive price.

Probably affects lighter cars more.
    But just crazy that the standards have to allow for people who dont use a belt.

An unbelted 200+ lbs, 6 foot+ person, and a person so short that they have to move the seat all the way up to reach the pedals and steering wheel.

I was only in that area for a bit of co-op work 20 years ago, but the amount of other stuff they tried to account for (aside from just what was required by law) as well made it seem like it was an unwinnable battle.

Or perhaps the crash test regulations here are incredibly out of date, like many of our other motoring regs?

No idea, just a thought. Didn't pay to read the article.

Junior Potato
    Yep, the unwinnable battle that Keith referred to might actually be the fight between yourself and the laws of physics when you’re hurtling towards the steering wheel at 30 mph with nought between it and you but a bag of wind that pops out.

Maybe change the laws so that the airbag doesn’t deploy unless you’re wearing your seatbelt correctly

Well, your loss, I'd say ��