Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2024

I'm beginning to think that F1 is really more suited for younger drivers(minds) because they're just more adaptable.

With significant regulation changes along with limited preseason testing, old timers like Ricciardo just doesn't have a chance. Even Hamilton often times end up seemingly slower than George during beginning of the season. I think older drivers with limited seat times just needs more time to adapt? Vettel also didn't look particularly fast compared to Stroll. Alonso is better, but Stroll is still just a talented paid driver... When Alonso was paired with Ocon, he didn't look super fast either.

Sainz is just a super adaptable driver I think. No matter what regulation or which team, he can always managed to get close to the teams lead driver. He has managed to win races in decent cars now, but I think without winning the championship, it'll be hard for him to shake that #2 status.

Anyway, I just think Ricciardo is too slow to adapt and over the years, his confidence is probably shattered which made things worse? Plus, old age is a bitch. I know he's not the oldest driver, but for sure that's a factor even Michael Schumacher couldn't overcome. I think maybe old age caught up with Senna too? The problem with Senna is that he's not likely to fade away like Ricciardo, but he'd rather die trying to get back on top!

If my 'theory' is right, it's likely reason why it's game over for such a proven winner like Ricciardo and I also don't think Hamilton will do well in Ferrari against Leclerc. I still hope I'm wrong though.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 27th, 2024 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I'm beginning to think that F1 is really more suited for younger drivers(minds) because they're just more adaptable.
    Ricciardo has a specific problem IMO.

Firstly, the cars seem to have gone away from him, the way they need to be driven has changed as the tyres and aero regs have changed. Secondly, he's more on the 'instinctive' side of the instinctive-analytical spectrum, which makes it tougher for him to adapt as the cars change. I don't think it's an age thing for him, he's not that old at 34, but the cars have changed since he was quick and he's not been able to adapt.

There's a separate issue which is that as they age, at some point time catches up with drivers. I think Alonso and Hamilton are still close to their best, at some point their powers will fade but I don't think we can point that out yet. If anything I'd say they are very adaptable using their experience.

Junior Potato
    One of the most adaptable racers of all time is Valentino Rossi. He retired cloer to his 40s, and the last half-dozen years of his career were mediocre compared to his rivals. During the tail end of his peak, he was noted for being able to keep up with the young influx of new riders who learned their craft in Moto2 and Moto3, much more modern bikes that are vastly different to the 125 and 250cc two-strokes that Rossi grew up with.

Tyre technology changed, engine technology changed, and electronic technology changed, all largely in favour of the riders half his age. But he hung on for many years past his prime. I know I might bring Rossi up in various racing threads from time to time, but the comparisons between him and Ricciardo are valid. It's odd to see Ric being considered an elder statesman of F1 alongside drivers like Alsono and Hamilton, but it's true: he has been very adaptable and experienced a lot of different eras of F1. The current generation of cars with the new rule package is quite a big leap compared to what he's driven before, and younger drivers will be able to make the most of them better than he can.

Despite sharing a country of origin with him, I never thought Ric was the best driver (I think Piastri might have him covered there) so was amazed he could have such success as winning the Monaco GP for RB, and the Italian GP for McLaren, so him falling behind Alonso and Hamilton is not a huge problem for me.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; March 28th, 2024 at 07:39 AM.

Not really sure whether instinctive or analytical types would adapt better... surely Michael Schumacher would be the super analytical type, right? I'd have to conclude that his lack of success when he came out of retirement was most likely age related rather than the loss of his analytical skills?

Anyway, for sure Ricciardo's problem was much bigger than anyone could've anticipated. Most likely there are more issues besides age!

I think the main reason why I thought age might be a thing was due to Bearman's amazing performance. How can a guy just hop into a F1 car in such a high speed street circuit and do so well?!?!? Maybe he's just super talented...

I'm really looking forward to the match up between HAM and LEC. I think Russell has been HAM's only younger teammate, right? George often does seem to have an advantage during the beginning of the season. However, I do believe George still lacks a bit of experience or perhaps judgment? I really don't think he could completely blame his crash on Alonso. The craziest thing I remembered he had done was trying to overtake Bottas in his Williams... As George gains more experiences and better judgments, I'm sure he'll be able to beat the old HAM easily. However, we won't have anymore time to find that out. However, it's good we now have a chance to compare him to Leclerc. Will HAM really be able to adapt quickly to move himself up as the obvious #1 driver in the team? My gut says 50/50!

I really think the only advantage Hamilton and Alonso have are their experiences. If Max were their teammates in the same car, I think there's >50% chance that Max will be able to kick their asses.

I think Ricciardo is getting a brand new chassis for Japan. He's running out of excuses... really hope he'll do well and show Yuki who's the boss in Japan!

Hopefully rain will make the race more interesting this weekend? But then again, Max is also the rain master so maybe it won't make much of a difference. Hope his car will choke again. That's our only hope.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Okay, maybe Yuki had a home track advantage because of all the positive energies from Japanese fans and that helped edge Danny out of Q3.

Ricciardo will beat him during the race without spinning out?

Isn't Yuki better as a racer than a hotlapper?
    acket.

Ricciardo will be driving to survive!

Running out of excuses!

Anyway, I used to think Sato is the best Japanese GP racer, but Yuki is beginning to change my mind. I like to see them both do well.

Kamui is the best open-wheel driver from Japan. But he was a little "cold chested", as we latinoamericanos say.

Yuki is still young, so hopefully he hasn't maxed out his stats bars.
    acket.