Thread: Billi goes semi-electric! (Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe)

Billi goes semi-electric! (Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe)

After test driving the Model 3 and Ioniq 6, I decided to lease the Jeep! Originally I was just thinking of using my monthly gas money to pay for a small EV lease payment, I really like the Model 3 and the way it drives. However Ioniq 6 was more efficient and Hyundai was also throwing in a free home charger and install…

Anyway, then my urge began to snowball. Although I couldn’t afford to buy the Jeep, but the rebates along with the tax credit for the lease made if more affordable so I can not only get an EV but also a more formidable tow vehicle! 6000 lbs tow capacity is an upgrade to my Sorento’s 5000lbs! If I had to return to office, then I probably would’ve gotten the model 3, but for now, I’m more biased with ability to go further with camping!

I really like the BMW X5 PHEV the best, but I can’t even afford leasing that. I also like the Mazda CX90, but the PHEV version of that can only tow 3500 lbs! So Jeep GC 4xe is pretty much the only game in town that’d fit my mission requirements.

This is my 1st Jeep. I really like how it looks. The most powerful/torquey/masculine car I’ve ever had! It does have a premium feel to it. I still can’t believe it’s a $70k car! Luckily with tax credit and rebates, it’s kinda like leasing a $50k car. Plus, if it has horrible reliability, I could return it after 3 years!

I also thankful for all those Volta chargers giving me free electrons! Needless to say we’re shopping at our local Albertsons/safeways quite often!

IMG_8767.jpg
    IMG_8766.jpg

This is the result of my 1st tank of fuel:
    IMG_8772.jpg
    I pumped in~17 gallons and I traveled 524 miles so that’s about 31 mpg!

I’m not sure how the Jeep computer calculated 26.6 mpg. If we ignore all the ‘green’ electric miles, I went 248 miles with ICE running, so that’s about 15 mpg. That’s sounds about right for such a big car… which is probably what my Sorento would’ve done.

Overall I’m very happy with it. I saw people on Jeep forum complaining about various problems, but luckily mine is still trouble free after nearly a month. I’ve also read magazine reviews saying that transition between gas and electric motor can be jerky, but I’ve found mine to be pretty smooth. Sometimes it’s hardly noticeable!

I do have to say I still prefer my 2017 Kia Sorento better. The V6 sound and the better steering and throttle control. I do also wonder about Jeeps longterm reliability too. Even in EV mode, I could constantly hear switches or servos clicking and moving… imagine if one of them goes bad! The other complain I have is that this car is just not very efficient. Cruising at 60mph with ICE on, I’m only getting around 24mpg! Even in EV mode, fully charged 17 kWh battery could get Honda Clarity 50 miles of range, this Jeep can only do 25 miles. Oh well, at least it can tow 6000 lbs… I hope? I’ll find out! Thank God and Volta for free electrons! In LA, these free chargers are almost never available but in my current neighborhood, which is more purple, most probably don’t like EV… so I’ve been doing my grocery shopping on a daily basis now!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 27th, 2023 at 06:37 AM.

Junior Potato
    You're a long way from an S2000 with this thing. But family prevails...

Congrats

Well, Stellantis built the engine in Italy, so sometimes in sport mode I’d like to think that I’m driving a Ferrari that can be safely driven into a 22inch(66cm) deep puddle of water!

I want to take some more time to have a proper break in, but I’m eager to test and verify if this heavy thing could actually beat my S2000’s 0 to 60 time. Supposedly this Jeep could do it in 5.3s! I suppose if Mt. Rainier erupted, that kind of acceleration would be nice to get me and my family outta there?

Anyway, thanks man!

Congrats on the new car, looks really smart. I hadn't heard of these, just looked them up and read this https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...d-cherokee-4xe

That's smart to take advantage of the tax incentives to get the camping vehicle you really want. Free electricity is a nice bonus on top. Is it possible to get cheaper electricity overnight where you are, or not? If you can charge cheaply at home that might push the economics even further into the black (green).

Thanks! It’s not a matter of being smart, just that without the tax credit and the rebates from Jeep, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford it!

Back in LA, I was able to take advantage of cheaper rates at night and sell the solar energy back to the grid at higher price! However, Washington is just getting into the Time of Use plan and the plan is not widely available yet. Anyway, at least current electric rate would still be cheaper than gas. Plus, wife does a lot of short errands around town, EV is definitely the way to go. It’s also nice to know that even when we have no more electrons, we can always turn on the ICE!

The only concern I have is longterm reliability… well, we’ll see as we go along!