Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Next XBox: XBOX One

Junior Potato
    I’m making my fourth attempt, over two days, at downloading the latest update for my Xbone S.

It is a piece of trash. 0/10.

NHL 19 is free with a XBLA / Games with Gold
    Is it THAT bad? 2002 or 2003 is that last one I manage to play for more than an hour

It's an EA game... Need I say more?

FWIW, I farted around with it for a little bit with my son. It's okay from what I can tell. I too haven't played a hockey game for over 10 years though.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    After trying to play an NBA game that came with either Xbox or PS paid accounts a year or so back, i decided to not even bother downloading this NHL one. Too many button combos to remember, and i'm not as coordinated as i was when younger.

So i've downloaded less 'free' PS + and Live Gold games this year than i had by this time last year. Nothing much has tickled my fancy lately. Not into these stupid pixel retro games they keep releasing.

The NHL games have a 'simplified' button configuration you can use. It's very similar to the old school Genesis/SNES where it's just a d-pad and one button for each action. It might be hard to keep up with folks online, but for offline play or two-player it should be pretty fun.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Hmmm, if more games included that sort of controller layout i'd be more interested in them.
    Especially fighting games like Tekken etc, as i still just button mash, lose, and quit the game.

I dunno if this is the right thread but I'll ask. Is anyone in here using an Xbox One S as a 4K blu-ray player? I've a 50" Samsung 4K HDR tv set and I'd like to view some 4K blu-ray movies on it, but my old Panasonic BD player is only 1080p capable.
    I've seen that decent stand alone 4K BD players are pretty expensive, so I'm toying around with the idea of buying an Xbox One S instead, JUST for the bd player capabilities.
    Anyone has experience with that? Will the 500gb version be enough? I suppose a remote control will be needed too.
    I've bought the Dolby Atmos on my Windows license so I should be able to use that on the console as well, I presume.
    Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

I use my XboneX for UHD Movies and it looks great. You can use the Xbox app on your phone as a remote. I don't know why you'd need more storage, if you want to use it mainly for movies.
    I downloaded the Atmos app on the Xbox, but don't remember paying for it. Hmmm...

Honestly though, I can barely tell the difference between BD and UHD Movies on my 135" screen. I don't know if it'd be worth it on 50.

Junior Potato
    Yeah I've used my Xbone S as a 4K Blu-Ray player.

It works just fine. It's probably its best feature if you're into collecting physical media.

500GB will be more than enough, and you can use the controller or the app as mentioned. HDMI CEC might work too, so if your TV remote has pause/stop/play buttons you're good. And if you don't use the controller for that it doubles as a fantastic PC Bluetooth controller.

You can't beat it for the price so go for it.

And yeah, the difference between 4K and 1080p is very negligible, but the main draw is HDR, the real game changer with UHD films.

Point is that usually there are both 4K and FullHD versions in a 4K bd package, so I'd get both... I still buy BD from time to time but lately I've stopped doing that because I feel like I'd rather take one version that would look even slightly better with my tv.
    A bit like DVDs: I don't buy them anymore since I don't see the point when there are BD existing.

My Samsung remote has indeed those buttons, I can see if that works.
    Thanks guys, I'll wait the Amazon Prime Days to finish while wait for a 95 euro Amazon bonus card my bank gifted me: prices have been hiked up for the Prime Days to a minimum of 229 euro about (meh, thanks always to Keepa plugin - it was around 190-195 euro two weeks ago IIRC) and I've yet to receive by mail the code for the bonus card.
    Also all the offers are focused on the new All Digital One S without a disk reader... but I've no use for that.