Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Next XBox: XBOX One

Administrator
    I've had the XBox for a couple of months, but I was thinking about how I wanted to try Skype with it in the Kinect since I figured it'd be like Star Trek. It totally is. My wife and I talked to my parents first, then her parents, on a 60 inch plasma going over a surround sound system. It was just about as perfect as can be. The camera would pan and zoom to pick up all the faces it saw in the room and frame them just about perfectly, the microphone worked flawlessly with no feedback...it was living in the future with absolutely no tweaking needed on our end. We just sat in our living room and talked to our parents like they were right there.

That's the XBox's killer app, right there. They need to sell based on that. I consider my experience talking with them worth the $500 price of entry, it was that good.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I did like the Killzone games, but there weren't my favourite ones.

And haha, at Xbox Sign Out.

I played half an hour of it earlier in the week. It is pretty, but boring. Even BF4's SP campaign is more fun.

I had a bit of a difficulty with Skype, Tom. I found the zoom was almost too aggressive as it wouldn't get all of the people in the room and stayed focused on one person too long. It seemed to pick up on movement more than anything and my 4 year old almost never stops moving, even when he's sitting still.

But, it was still pretty cool. I wish they would have worked a little more on the TV aspect of it. The passthrough is okay. But, if it were a DVR + Netflix + HBOGO + HULU + HTPC all in one, it would have been much better.

The DVR part is the incredibly hard part, because then you're in cable card territory and the cable companies HATE all those.
    Get that weak shit off my track

That's the part I'd want the most.

That's the part everyone wants most, to stop paying extra every month for the cable box w/DVR and get awesome new features. Cable companies are also incredibly scared of having their content seen right next to internet content and therefore seen as equal. They have the clout to make sure that we won't get what we want anytime soon, as well.

I didn't mean to stop paying the cable company. I just meant to have ONE box to use for cable, movies, internet streaming content, etc...

But if you aren't using their cable box, you aren't paying for their cable box rental, you aren't paying extra to get the cable box with DVR, and you aren't watching their premium or ad supported video-on-demand services.

Administrator
    Yep...I've had to deal with cable card hell a few times to get my Tivos working as expected. The cable company clearly wants to do no more than the FCC legally requires them to do to support them. On the other hand, now that they work correctly, it was totally worth it.