Page 70 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Next XBox: XBOX One

Destiny 2 is going to be 4K at 30 FPS.

Phil, the Xbox One S upscales 1080p to 4K via software. It does not render games at 4K like the Xbox One X does.

But it will play certain games with HDR enabled -- provided you've bought a TV that supports the HDR 10 standard.

From where you're coming from, the visual jump should still be enormous.

What does Pittsburgh have to do with anything?

We're still on rabbit ears and Pong.

I don't know about the S, but even PS4 Pro has to checkerboard up to 4k on most games... Performance requirements for native 4k are pretty hefty.

TSG, this is how Phil plays Destiny currently:

Have a heart.

It's so true!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I don't know about the S, but even PS4 Pro has to checkerboard up to 4k on most games... Performance requirements for native 4k are pretty hefty.
    There's an important difference here: 4K upscaling is done in software using interpolation. Think of the way Photoshop 'guesses' what goes between pixels on an image when you double its dimensions and blow it up. Upscaling can be done in either the console after the rendered frames are sent to the video encoder, or it can be kept at native resolution and upscaled by the display. I'd generally prefer to have the display upscale an image, but that would depend on if the display's upscaler is better than the console.

The PS4's checkerboarding, on the other hand, renders every second pixel in a frame, and the video encoder then fills in the gaps. It's a clever solution, because instead of every pixel needing to be boosted up to 4x it's resolution, a checkerboard image only needs to be doubled, so you get more detail and higher image quality. PS4 can still render games in native 4K at 60fps, but they will be games with less demanding visuals than say a title like Horizon Zero Dawn which runs at checkerboarded 4K/30fps. In fact, quite a few PS4 Pro games run at around 1200p, such is the demand on the graphics hardware.

I said this when the PS4 Pro launched, and I still think that 4K in this generation is too early. I'm hoping that the next generation will deliver us better than GTX1080 levels of performance so that we can enjoy demanding titles at a full 4K/60.

Frankly I wish they'd focus more on 1080p with smooth framerates. I have to look pretty hard to see the difference between 4k and 1080p content, and I have a pretty decent setup, imo.

Yeah I've read that HDR is a bigger graphical difference -- if you've got an HDR 4K TV.