Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Next XBox: XBOX One

Junior Potato
    With those HD + UHD packages, only the UHD disc contains the HDR color space. I bought The Last Jedi when it came out and I never even bothered to watch the HD disc because it's only in SDR. It's a useful thing to sell to people if they haven't upgraded their TV yet; they can get the movie now and have the UHD version available for later once they upgrade without having to buy another disc.

As an aside, it's kind of a shame that 1080p HDR has never been a thing. Smaller TVs that support HDR at 1080p would be great value. Of course, the support for HDR on the base PS4 and Xbox consoles has been a great thing for 4K TV owners, but the HDR has always been part of 4K. I'd just love to see HDR at a lower price on sub-50" TVs.

So, I've got my bonus on Amazon... as it stands right now I can get a new Xbox One S 1TB (sold and sent by Amazon) for 76 euro.
    It's the version with PUBG in bundle (EWWW), but unfortunately it is the only version right now on sale.

Once I get the Xbox One S... what should I do? Sign in with my Windows Store/Windows 10 account? I think I'm already signed in in the Companion Xbox whatever program on Windows.
    1) I also have already paid for Atmos on my Win 10 account - is it connected?
    2) Without paying for Xbox Live... can I update the console regularly?
    3) Is there a way to try game demos too?
    4) Does Microsoft make game sales for people without Xbox Live or are you obliged to have the paid service in order to get digital sales?
    5) How does Xbox Play Anywhere work? Is is related to PC Win 10 too?

I'm putting the purchase on hold: I've spent 2 hours of my afternoon comparing both my BD collection and my BD wishlist on Amazon to check if there are 4K equivalents.
    Of around 100 titles like 12 or such are available on 4k.
    Cost for a normal BD ranges between 6 and 14 euro, while a 4K BD may cost from 14 to 40-50 euro each.
    A pretty big reality check on a purchase that would be hard to justify: few BD movies and a 4k upscaler player, basically. DAMN, I hate these things.
    I'll think about it, I've like 3 months to spend my bonus on Amazon.

Administrator
    I know you're putting it off, but...

First off, yes, the Windows Store account is the same as your XBL account (or at least it is for me).

1) Dunno, I think so?
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) I believe there are sales that are exclusive for XBL Gold and some that are not. The better ones will likely be for Gold, which also has a couple of free games a month.
    5) For the couple of games that I have that support it, it works pretty much flawlessly. Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4 I bought once on the Windows store and they were immediately available on my XBox, and the save games transfer between the two.

Thanks Bryan, really.
    Number 5 could be interesting: I shall see if there are enough interesting games in the Windows Store (I've my doubts)... let's see if MS and Steam go on with their game agreement and if games on Steam and Xbox will share Play Anywhere saves. It would be great and could tip me in favour of the console.

Administrator
    Yeah, there aren't many games that I'm interested in. This list is a little suspect as they list titles that either do or "intend to" support Play Anywhere:

https://www.windowscentral.com/play-anywhere-list

That said, I really like the few games that I have that do support it. I almost never fire up my XBox anymore, because why would I when I can play at 4k/60fps on my computer?

Junior Potato
    Don’t forget Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, which is stunning value. About half of them are available on PC. The console side of it is a great way to play games you wouldn’t normally look at on PC.

I could be just very mildly interested in Forza games, but not much else otherwise.
    Also I gather Xbox Play Anywhere won't work in relation to Steam... meh.
    What a shame.

Junior Potato
    That would be correct.

But, you can use it to play Metro Exodus on PC without having to go to the Epic Games Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    But, you can use it to play Metro Exodus on PC without having to go to the Epic Games Store.
    I pirated it to try it (no way I'm giving my money to Epic Games Store): I was disappointed; I did find it boring, with stiff controls and lacklustre gameplay. Also full of irritating characters.
    Still better than Metro 2033 and Last Light, but...
    So moot point.