Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: PS4

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Holey crap.

Started playing the PS4 exclusive Days Gone, largely at my wife's behest. I bought it because it looked like something she'd enjoy, which she did, apart from the early bugs.

I'm finding it to be a rather... adequate game. Good, but not great. SIE/Sony have been pretty aggressive about patching since release, and I have yet to encounter any of the more annoying bugs that my wife did like falling through the ground or getting stuck in terrain.

I like well done open world games, but I'm not really a survival horror game fan, so I find the survival mechanics a bit tedious at times. Your motorcycle guzzles gas pretty quickly, you can't carry that much inventory or ammo without some high-level perks, and your melee weapons degrade quickly.

My wife, being more of a fan of survival horror than I, played through it about as quickly as one with an infant and a toddler could. So, if you like the genre, you can get Days Gone feeling safe that the bugs have been patched.

Junior Potato
    Y’all know the PSVR cinematic mode? The one where it presents a giant virtual 2D screen about 10 feet away from you?

It’s supposed to work if you plug any HDMI source into it, isn’t it?

I can’t get it to work. Well, it works just fine with my PS4 dashboard. But I try swap it for my PC’s HDMI cable at 1080p and it doesn’t work.

Did they patch it to only accept a PS4 signal?

Administrator
    The wife is out tonight so I thought "ya know, I haven't played GT:Sport much at all, I should really give it a shot."

Fire up the PS4, try to start GT:Sport, tells me that I need to install a system update. So I try to, gives me error code "su-42481-9". I look that up and find an article on Sony's website saying that I need to reboot into safe mode, so I follow those instructions. It reboots, but then runs a disk scan and yells at me for pulling the power cord without shutting it down properly (I did not do this, I just held my finger on the power button long enough for the second beep, per their instructions).

I try again, now I get error code ce-43461-8. I hit the triangle button as that's supposed to search Sony's site for information. I do that and it tells me it doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about. So I exit out, go to settings, system updates, try again to install the same update it just complained caused an error code and it happily updates. Hooray!

Then after a couple of reboots I'm finally back at the home screen and I go to play GT:S. Oh, if you want to play that, that's a 40GB update. And it's going to take 5 hours to download, despite the fact that you have a really fast internet connection that should be able to get that in less than an hour.

I swear, every time I try to use my PS4 it's at least half an hour of fighting with it, even if I'm just trying to use it as a Blu-Ray player.

Administrator
    Aaaahahah, while I let GT:S download, my PS4 just popped up a prompt telling me it's getting bored and is going to sleep.

Junior Potato
    It’ll download while in sleep mode.

Just go to bed

Administrator
    If only it had done that IN THE PAST FOUR MONTHS WHILE IT WAS IN SLEEP MODE

Sleep mode is only so handy if I constantly have to coax it into doing the things it was supposed to be doing. Pretty thrilled to know it was slowly leeching electricity for no good reason.

In the meantime, it's only 7:45PM, so going to bed seems a little silly.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; August 31st, 2020 at 07:22 PM.

This is one reason why I log into Steam every now and then. If I want to play a game, I want to be able to play it now, rather than have to wait 5-30 mins for whatever crap to update, despite having a 1000Mbps fibre connection. I know that it is even worse with the PS4 and GT:Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    In the meantime, it's only 7:45PM, so going to bed seems a little silly.
    Watch some adult romantic drama?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Watch some adult romantic drama?
    Top Chef reruns it is!

This is the kind of thing Google wants people to think about when it comes to Stadia. I doubt it's working for them.
    Get that weak shit off my track