Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: PS4

Hey, Sony didn't say it was 1080p and 60 fps at the same time.

I dunno, if you make promises about features and then don't deliver you are actively soliciting backlash. Granted, many people couldn't tell the difference but some people certainly can and, if nothing else, it's the principal of the matter. Making promises about potentially unquantifiable features is deceptive and immoral, and you deserve whatever negative publicity results when they become quantifiable. Nobody would give Bugatti a pass if the Veyron only made 950hp or the C7 could only manage a 3.5 second 0-60 or if Chipotle burritos had 134,000 grams of sodium instead of 74,000 grams. Fair is fair, regardless.

This is different from those relatively simple tasks, though. You could easily make a game that runs on almost any modern system at 1080p/60 by making it graphically simple, or through proper estimation.

IMO this is more like saying "this car can do laps under 8 minutes on the Nurburgring" with the understanding that you need the proper situation and skills to pull it off.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Graphipcs, resolution, frames. Sony apparently promised all three, gave two. For one game. And they got busted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    IMO this is more like saying "this car can do laps under 8 minutes on the Nurburgring" with the understanding that you need the proper situation and skills to pull it off.
    When it comes to consoles, I disagree with that. Even with a computer, where processors and GPUs can vary wildly there is no expectation that results will be consistent across the landscape. But with consoles you know exactly what will work where - and in fact they demonstrated that fact by crippling the multiplayer's resolution so as to not lose framerate. That they knew this and never once mentioned "1080p is applicable only to single player" is deceptive. It's not like 'ring tests or Crysis results which were returned given an optimal compliment of variables, we're talking about guaranteed, reliable, reproducible, consistent results - 1080p only works in single player, period. They knew the score and they knew which conditions would yield which results and they never thought it important to share. When there are lots of variables, it is reasonable to believe results will vary. When there is exactly one variable and there are only two possible results... well, you get the picture.

Agree to disagree, then. There's so much more to graphics than resolution and framerate. Look at so many PC games with adjustable graphics, with dozens of variables that you can adjust, switch a couple from high to low and 1080p/60 "FAIL" becomes "PASS".

Those settings are necessary because PC hardware is unpredictable. You don't know whether your target audience is rocking HD4600 or GTX 790. Consoles are all exactly the same as each other, capable of exactly the same thing. You know before you even start coding what your max throughput looks like, you know what gets switched off and on to deliver what experience. Choosing not to say "this works here, does not work here" when you know that is factually true and there is nothing the end user can do to change those truths is lying. In PC gaming with adjustable graphics, the end user always has the option of buying a faster video card if he wants a better experience - HD4600 guy can buy a GTX 790 if he wants 1080p and multiplayer. PS4 guy has no recourse, there is nothing he can do to unlock 1080p multiplayer. 1080p multiplayer doesn't in fact exist at all.

If you don't want to see that fact, that's fine, but you can't equate unpredictable PC configurations or unpredictable car/weather/driver configurations with 100% predictable console configurations. It's apples and celery.

Dooooooooom

I am not saying that PC hardware and console hardware are the same. I'm saying that it's up to the developers to choose what graphical detail they want to use, and to optimize their own code. The hardware is predictable, but the software is not.

The PS4 can definitely output 1080p games at 60 frames per second, depending on many other factors that isn't really all that difficult for modern hardware. It apparently can't do it with a game where the graphics are as complex as in Killzone Shadow. IMO that doesn't mean Sony lied.

Edit: Unless they specifically said that Killzone Shadow would be 1080/60p throughout.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 8th, 2014 at 07:49 AM.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    In other PS4 news, i now own one thanks to wifey buying me one for my birthday last weekish (1st March).
    But then, there is the fact that she is mad keen on Watchdogs, and Infamous Second Son - so it will be interesting to see who plays it more.

Only played a bit of Killzone so far (and seen good examples of the advances in console power over the PS3/360), plus a bit of Outlast until i wimped out. Have Tomb Raider too, but i really should get through the rather large list of PS3 games i want to play/finish before i get too accustomed to next gen graphics...