Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we drinking?

Hendrick's Gin tastes like(of) cucumber.

I'm with sportwagon, Gin is a wonderful thing.

My regular rotation atm is

Cheap I'm a bit pissed Gin - Tanqueray
    Negronis - Four pillars spiced negroni
    Strong cocktails that call for a Old Tom - Archie Rose Distillers strength
    Gin and tonic - Archie Rose tailored (botanicals of juniper, blood lime, river mint and a tickle of honey)
    Martini Gin - Archie Rose signature dry or Adelaide hills distillery 78 degrees (with Margan dry vermouth. Wonderful)
    Something different Gin - Four pillars bloody shiraz (particularly in a bloody Floradora) and Four Pillars Christmas Gin (using christmas pudding as one of the botanicals! Girlfriend loves a martinez made with this after work). Actually, I also made up some tanqueray infused with toasted coconut for some other cocktails which is interesting
    Sipping Gin - Atm I'm giving Ginzu a run (replacing aviation I've I've had a bit too much of that recently)

Of all the spirits I have more Gin than anything else (unless you count whisky's as a single spirit rather than scotch, bourbon, rye etc)

Cam - your issue may be as simple as shitty Gin like Gordons or crappy post mix tonic, something like Tanqueray is a really good, versatile value for money Gin and if you mix that with a Fever tree Indian (or Mediterranean if you find indian tonic bitter) you might be surprised.

Simple reality, I just don't like it. I was told by a couple of English folks that Hendricks gin in Fever Tree tonic with a slice of cucumber is the best G&T ever. I thought it tasted like grass. I don't like grass.

Tanqueray (normal London Dry) is my "canonical" gin. But I didn't like Tanquery Ten. It had a sharp woody taste.

When Canadian-made Gordon's was extremely pungent juniper (Drew said "like drinking a Christmas tree" about some gin and it met that description), I would mix a very small amount of it with a large amount of carbonated water (usually not true soda), and typically drink i from my pint mug. But a few years back they changed their formula (actually apparently bringing it more in line with the British product, I believe), and it no longer had that characteristic.

Now I tend to drink it (gin, that is, very very rarely Gordon's now) straight. Though to take the edge of that Tanqueray Rangpur, I mix it with just a little Beefeater.

For a short while there was something marketed here as "Hayman's Old Tom". Allegedly actual Victorian style. (oom pah pah! oom pah pah! That's 'ow it goes...) I really liked it, but it went away. Very occasionally now you'll see "Hayman's London Dry", but only very occasionally. And it sells out quickly.

You never see Seagram's gin around this town. That might be because where there are now condos, there used to stand, until 1992, the original Seagram distillery. The (originally) Kuntz Brewery was not far away either (it became Labatt, and closed too in 1993). Some nights walking home the excess malt oozing into the air was quite overpowering.

Everyone here does know why there is no "apostrophe S" after "Labatt"?
    (Actually I think the brewery in question did become "Labatt's" and changed to "Labatt" in 1988).

And another thought...

Maybe it's tonic water that Cam doesn't like...
    Last edited by SportWagon; November 14th, 2017 at 03:30 PM.

Believe it or not we ordered a Gin when out the other night and my girlfriend left most of it because the tonic was bad. She's a concerned that I've made her more than a little fussy

For Cam it might be interesting to try something quite out there like Aviation as thats quite a different tasting gin or something like The Botanist which is very botanical and light on juniper so quite different to standard gins however ultimately if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it. Sadly I assume this means he also wouldn't like a Negroni and I couldn't imagine living if I didn't have Negroni's to enjoy.

My thesis is that in the limit there is no difference between gin and vodka. So one can only say one does not like all/any gin if one also doesn't like natural vodka.

On the other hand, one can certainly say one does not like London Dry Gin. (Although it seems to me even London Dry Gin has got much less bitter over the years).

My understanding is that the only difference between gin and vodka is that gin has juniper. As you say there are different styles of gin (London dry being the most common) but in terms of flavours gin can have anything.

Oh, and they launched this today, I couldn’t resist.

https://archierose.com.au/shop/product/horisumi-summer

What can I say, I have simple tastes and enjoy sweeter liquor; rum (and cola), tequila (margarita), plus the aforementioned maple whiskey. However, Long Island iced tea is one of my favourite cocktails. As you know, it contains rum, tequila, vodka, gin and orange liqueur.

I feel that good vodka is pretty much tasteless, while the gins I have tried tasted very bitter to me.

Ironically, I cut back on my alcohol consumption in the past few months and have lost four kilograms (ten pounds).

Started a bottle of Hendrick's gin for the first time in a few years. It seemed a lot heavier on the licorice than I remembered.

Misbehaving a bit tonight. Which means I learnt a few things

Negroni is still the greatest cocktail ever created. No question. Close the book. But 4:3:3
    Last word can finish an argument
    New Orleans is responsible for more genuinely great cocktails than anywhere else in the world
    Martinez needs old tom or a sprinkle of christmas from those magicians at four pillars
    Smokey nails shit on rusty nails