Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: What are we drinking?

Administrator
    Big fan of the Huge Arker. BBS is a little on the weak-bodied side for me, which it sounds like where you found it as well.

Administrator
    Michele's recently gotten really into old fashioneds, so I'm trying to get better at making them. It's surprisingly hard to get them to be as good as the ones we get in some of the swankier establishments around here.

I bought several stouts the other day, along with a case of Bud. The first one I tried was a coffee stout "Fire" from Maine Beer Company. It was a stout for sure, but I did not find any coffee flavour. Not particularly noteworthy. The next one is Goose Island Bourbon County Imperial Stout (2020.) I had this beer before and remember liking it, so I picked up another. They had a 2021 on the shelf too, but wanted to see how two years of aging affected the flavour. It is thick, hearty and sweet like molasses. I quite like it. Gotta nurse it though at a whopping 14.5% ABV. I also got two bottles of imperial stout from Westbrook Brewing; Gates of S'mordor and 11th Anniversary Stout. Both sound like dessert beers, but again, pretty strong at 11% ABV. I've tried the S'mordor before and it was not memorable, but I have not tried the 11th Anniversary Stout.

Edit: Oh yeah, here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I splurged on a recent beer run and bought a bottle of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Holy moley, it's a thick, hearty stout, as it should be. Tasty, but at nearly 15% alcohol, it needs to be nursed. It burned my throat on the first swig.
    Last edited by Cam; March 16th, 2022 at 03:28 PM.

Administrator
    The Goose Island one is always a safe bet, though I find that the variants they make now are never as good as the original. I'm happy that AB InBev hasn't hurt that brew as much as I were worried they would, though I still think it's not quite as good as it used to be before Goose Island got bought out. I still have two bottles of the 2014 vintage, which I believe is the last year before AB InBev bought them.

Oh cool, I didn't realize Maine Beer distributed that far south. They expanded a few years ago, so not totally surprised. Their beers are usually very solid, though as you noted, Cam: "not particularly noteworthy."
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

I'm trying the Westbrook 11th Anniversary Stout. I think it's a little off. Much more bitter than I was expecting, considering the S'mordor I've tried previously. Supposedly, it's brewed with cocoa and caramel. I'm totally not tasting it.

Did you get it at that same store as the other junk beer you've had?

Pretty predictable for me this evening, but it's my favorite beer, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    stpatricksday2022.jpg
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Yeah. I told myself that I would not buy beer at that store any more, but it is much closer to home than the next closest beer store. The Bud seems fine any time we buy it there. Anything else other than macrobrews seem like a crap shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by pl8ster View Post
    Did you get it at that same store as the other junk beer you've had?

Pretty predictable for me this evening, but it's my favorite beer, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    stpatricksday2022.jpg
    Is that actually an Irish tartan on the napkin?

I remembered why there was a little voice in my head telling me to not to buy the S'Mordor. It is brewed with cinnamon. I'm not a fan of spice in beer.