Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we drinking?

£42 a bottle? Fucking hell.

I've got two fifths of whisky, Maker's Mark and Johnny Walker Black, but I haven't touched them much. I don't drink much by myself. I still have like 18 beers from my last run to Costco, because they have a house-brand pack of microbrews, and recently I got a couple of Widmer Hefeweizers at a local import store by some goddamned miracle. Not packs of those, but individual bottles (and they were like 500 yen/each). I take it when I can get it out here.

I've been drinking a great many things lately, the best of which by far was goose island night stalker. I also really enjoyed Bolero Snort's ragin bull winter, it's a great spicy seasonal.

Best discovery for the missus has been Omission brewery. She's gluten intolerant and really misses having a beer. Most of the gluten free stuff is pretty crappy, the best has been mass produced lager good. A drink possibly being as good as a Becks or Carling isn't something you can ever really look forward to. Que the spotting of the omission bottles, and chilled six packs, in the local liquor store.

We tried just one, the pale ale, and it was really, honestly very good. I'd happily drink it if there were some in the fridge.

We also sampled a local(ish) delicacy. Picklebacks. A shot of whiskey followed immediately by a shot of pickle brine. They're not as bad as you'd think. But they're also not that great.

Wanna Fight?
    I have whiskey and pickles.

When I was in Guatemala, you only really had the choice of 3 or 4 beers (if you were lucky enough for them to have it in stock).

Gallo - it's ok, but I prefer something...better. The international awards it has won can like my dick.
    Moza - a bock styled beer that was decent to the palate but left me wanting something more.
    Monte Carlo - Kinda like heiniken, but not. It was serviceable and usually was my go to beer.

All that said, when I was picked up from the Airport by the 'rents, they were kind enough to have brought me some kickass BBQ, and a 4 pack of Tank 7 for the ride home, which is close to an hour. Thank Heavens that the lawmakers in MO allow open containers in the car (passengers are allowed to drink, but not driver.)

I broke down and bought a bottle of Lagavulin. I haven't had it in probably six years or so, but my god is it heavenly. Yes, it was $91 for a 750ml bottle (£55 for our friends playing overseas.) Not only does it taste and smell incredible, but for minutes after drinking it, it felt like a kindly HVAC technician had gently installed a tiny gas furnace in the back of my throat. And I don't mean that in a bad way, I mean that as in I felt like it might be a good move to just turn off the thermostat in my house and sustain myself via the warming heat emanating from my esophagus.

It was distilled 16 years ago. I was still watching cartoons then. Maybe the Viper TV show was on then? I dunno... Anyway... Lagavulin, drink it. ... It comes from here... Look how pretty it is.

lagavulin_whisky_distillery.jpg
    Last edited by Sad, little man; January 24th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.

Yes...... Yes Viper was definitely on the air when this whiskey was distilled.

Grrrrr! Lagavulin is being made right now! Grrrrrrrrrr!

viper-series.jpg

I'm trying to accomplish something tonight... I plan to drink wine, beer, liquor, and sake all in one night.

*Sips a small glass of sake.

Achievement unlocked!!!

Hangover?
    Last edited by speedpimp; January 27th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Stopped by the Lincoln Park Costco, which now stocks a wider selection of beers in 750mL bottles. Split a Goose Island Lolita and a Gulden Draak with the girlfriend last night.