Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we drinking?

Wanna Fight?
    Tell me about it. It's likely just glycogen and fluids but I was 5lb heavier the day after. Back to straight bourbon I go...

It's the sugar. The amount of that in most cocktails is insane. Even lager is probably slightly healthier. Bitter is probably the healthiest beer from that aspect, and vodka lime sodas/gin or vodka tonics are the only cocktails I drink. I usually stick to wine, and even then, maybe 1-2 glasses every 2 weeks.

On the other hand, I'm in Thailand (Chiangmai, so no supadrai action) for a stag from Friday to Sunday. This is going to be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Tell me about it. It's likely just glycogen and fluids but I was 5lb heavier the day after. Back to straight bourbon I go...
    Not the fluids, it's all the sugar being turned into fats.

Alcohol causes you to duirese fluid off from the inhibition of the ADH (anti-diuretic hormone). Now if you were loading water after the alcohol and were trying to sober up, then it is possible to be fluid volume build up. But that would mean you have drank almost .75 a gallon of water that your body had not released yet.

In other news, I drank the almost mandatory crap "green beer" today for obvious reasons. It was shit, and I should have just bought my Gin and Tonics and been happy.

Wanna Fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Not the fluids, it's all the sugar being turned into fats.
    There is no fucking way I drank seventeen and a half THOUSAND calories' worth of sugar...given that one pound of fat is 3500 calories.

It's the 4-6lb of glycogen I seem to be able to gain in hours and lose inside two days fairly reliably.

I was pissing like a racehorse yesterday and already appear to be 2-3lbs lighter.

Which obviously justified me having a couple of Whiskey Old Fashioned.
    Last edited by Rob; March 18th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.

Dude, the sugar will fuck you up big-time - anyway, Godson is the nurse here, so...

Wanna Fight?
    Ok, a kilogram of refined white sugar contains c. 3800 calories.

Eating a kilo bag should metabolise into a little over 1lb of fat.

I'd question the odds of all those drinks containing 5 kilos of sugar total.

It's not that simple. But anyway, the takeaway is that cocktails and sugar are bad, MMKAY?

Wanna Fight?
    Monkey Shoulder Blended Malt scotch was on offer in Sainsbury's, down from £27 to £22 a bottle. So I grabbed two.

Wanna Fight?
    Oh yeah, today I discovered that Whistlepig Straight Rye changes hands for £90 a bottle here on the rare occasion any surfaces. That's not far off 150 bucks.

I was at Costco the other day and saw a 40 year old bottle of scotch for 700 $. It was Kirkland brand.

Serious wtf. I passed on the 'awesome' opportunity.