Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we drinking?

We went to Beertown on Monday, and my wife had a half pint Mill St. Cobblestone Stout. First she taste-tested Waterloo Dark Lager versus Cobblestone to see which seemed like the cleanest dark beer. She thought the Cobblestone was better, claiming it had a bitter aftertaste which overcame the thick sweetness, whereas Guinness does not. (Though she did not actually directly compare with Guinness that day, and I'd guess it's been years since she had a Guinness and right now she's borrowing her friend's disparagements a bit too enthusiastically, methinks).

I started with a Beau's Lug Tread since I remembered, correctly it turned out, that it was a very well-crafted beer. And it was served in its signature glass with tractor livery, with the extra little tractor etched down the bottom visible when you finished.

After that I explored a couple more darks starting with a 500ml bottle of Grand River Mill Race Mild, which briefly turned the conversation towards Cornish pasties. And we finished up sharing a can of Fuller's London Porter, which I found to be very chocolately tasting. My wife not so much, since she'd just recently finished an actual brownie with chocolate ice cream.

And then we walked home, stopping initially at a Yogurt place, where I had Froyo for the first time since getting an Android phone. Then there was a more unexpected dive into Tim Horton's to use the facilities and purchase some courtesy items; an apple fritter by itself for me--and small decaf and strudel special I think it was for my wife.

Have somebody tooted Captain Morgan Spiced Gold?
    Not bad, rhum for chiks also, me thinks.
    (not influenced much)

I haven't tried that Captain Morgan Spiced Gold yet, more of a vodka drinker.

Great Lake's has a pilsner called The Wright Pils, I love it. Everyone's doing IPAs And Wheat beers, no one gives a half a shit about making a good pilsner anymore, so it was nice to find this.

Tried a Rickard's lemon beer yesterday. Terrible.

Also tried Somersby Cidar. Citrus, in this case, but I also have a couple more flavours to try.

Tell me, does this stuff revoke my man card? I read the ingredients and turns out it's mostly wine! But I bought it in a tall boy in the beer section dammit!

So why did you try something (Rickard's Lemon Beer) that was predictably terrible?

Somersby is a Danish forgery. Even worse if they're marketing as cider something which is wine. Unless wine means "apple wine", not "grape wine", as a result of some strange rule of the labeling laws.

Can't actually find a "Rickard's Lemon", although I find a "Shandy". Girly drink made by mixing beer with lemonade. (Or apple juice, or ginger beer or ginger ale, other other pop-type drinks).

Rickard's just seems like Molson's attempt (fairly long-running, well established) to horn in on the craft-brew market.
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 15th, 2014 at 12:08 PM.

I tried it because I tend to enjoy lemon flavoured things. I mistaken on one of them.

They definitely label Somserby as a cider. Though the ingredients clearly state it has fruity wine in it. But I did enjoy it, and I despise wine, so there's that.

http://www.whatidrinkathome.com/2014...-citrus-cider/

P.S. I was surprised to discover that the main ingredient of this is “citrus wine”, which is a combination of water, sugar and citrus juice concentrate.
    Seems weird.

I had a bit of Alpine Duet this weekend.

Bushmills. a fifth a day keeps the feelings away.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    They had Valar Morghulis at Costco, so I decided to try a bottle. It's very, belgian. I'm not a big fan of belgians. On the up side, it's 8% and 750ml, so I have a good buzz going.