Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

Oh, almost forgot, load up on batteries. Mirrorless cameras in general are more along the lines of P&Ss in terms of battery usage, since theres constantly an EVF or LCD in use. I have two Fuji brand batteries, and 2 Power2000 batteries, both are good for at least 300 shots or so.

Yeah, figured it wouldn't last all day like the 7D does. I take it you own most of the lenses? Do any stand out?

I'm used to using (35mm equiv) 44mm and 80mm primes. The 80 is going to be taken up by the new 56mm, but as a stanard prime, I'm kinda torn between the 35 and 23. The 35mm is part of a £100 cash back offer at the moment, and with some amazon credit I could get it for 1/3 the price of the 23. I see there's a 10-24 too, coming soon, which would be a nice match for a couple of primes.

Got three days to get the 35mm and qualify for cash back...

Both are good optically. The 35 (along with the 18 and 60) is a first gen Fuji prime, so it's a tad noisier than the 23. The 23 has better manual focus capabilities because of the focus ring design. It has two stops, whereas the 35 endlessly rotates. The 35 is lighter, the 23 is built better. Really, though, it comes down to what focal length you prefer. 35 is 50 equiv, and the 23 is 35 equiv. It's a pretty big difference.

I have:

18-55
    55-200

I'll likely replace the 60 with the 56 when it comes out.

My favorites are the 14, 23 and 35. All of Fuji's lenses have been pretty damned sharp so far. The 18-55 is probably the weakest, in that its not quite as sharp wide open as the other lenses (including the 55-200), but it's still better than most kit lenses, especially since its a f2.8-4.0.

Oh, there's also that 27mm 2.8 pancake... that'd be pretty close to the focal length you have currently, if you were looking for that. I've never used it, but I've heard it's surprisingly sharp. It's more a street lens than a landscape lens, I think.

Thanks. I'm looking at the 35mm as I can get it for a very good price, pairing it up with a 14, but suspect the 23 will be easier for me to use going forward. Got a day or two more for the cashback offer to run out to decide.

Any experience with the 18/2?

Light, one of the faster focusers, sharp in the middle wide open, but a little soft towards the corners. It's a good street photography lens, but not a favorite among landscape shooters (ie, its not bad for landscape, its just not super duper great). It's basically of the same cloth as the 27mm f2.8 from what I understand. I used to have it, but sold it after getting the 18-55mm.

Get that weak shit off my track

I'm definitely going X-T1 in Feb (unless it costs the earth).

I obviously want it. But that'd be dumb.

Oh, also, more info:

http://www.fujirumors.com/enjoy-more...evf-than-e-m1/
    Last edited by Jason; January 21st, 2014 at 01:48 PM.

It's not going to be cheap, even with an assumed discount, but if it's as good as it's hyped to be I may consider selling all my Canon gear. Or at least the 28-300, since I won't need that anymore!