Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: GAS talk

Thanks, man. I'll definitely appreciate any suggestions you may have, even if the kids are 9-10yo so it's not like they are Giannis or Jordan.

I have a few weeks of experience shooting with the 5D3 and I've since watched a few videos on how to shoot basketball and I only really take action shots. The main thing I anticipate getting over the 5D3 is far more keepers and better shots e.g. ball-in-hand and more usable and "fun" shots of, uh, players shooting and passing.

My current plan, on which I welcome comments, is AI Servo, Mode 3 AF (the one with a football stick man), zone AF the mainly landscape mode, eye detection off, the Youtube BYU Photo setup for basketball (AF-ON for Spot Focusing [Large point?] and * for Face Tracking), then spray and pray at 12fps. Landscape only photos for now. There were some 0, 0, 1(?) settings on dpreview.com forums I think but I haven't found them again although I'm sure I could at some point.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; January 10th, 2024 at 09:27 AM.

OK the R6 Mk2 definitely has much better AF. The only issue is the blackout when using the mechanical shutter, which lasts longer than the mirror blackout in a DSLR and leaves me exposed as I am used to seeing the actual action via the VF. So for sports I have had to use the electronic shutter instead. I wish there were a 15fps setting for that, but I'll take 20fps and cull more aggressively.

Yeah I’m totally with you. You definitely have to be able to predict the sport a bit when shooting mechanical shutter on sports at higher fps.

If you end up shooting ES in certain artificial lighting you can get some odd banding at H or H+. So I have been forced to shoot EFCS or Mechanical with anti flicker in rare occasions.

So there are definitely some teething problems that need to be fixed in order to make Mirrorless on par in these particular situations. But I think the R3 pro has a different sensor to deal with some of that.

I am thoroughly satisfied with all the improvements…worth the investment…with a few quibbles

High ISO, fps and focus accuracy is worth the cost of admission. Still having to switch the AF from eye detect on or off depending on the sport. But now I know how to plan for that and adjust on the fly.

That's right. Eventually, when they have a full blackout sensor (or whatever it's called) in an R6 level camera I will change to that. But for now, things are fine and smooth. Thanks, brother.

Yes sir. I try to use ES all the time in action situations if possible. The viewfinder is much better with ES. The blackout really becomes pronounced in Mechanical. Luckily I don't have to resort to that often. All my normal portrait stuff I just use EFCS or Mechanical...I can't tell the difference honestly. EFCS lets me go 1/250 flash synch where mechanical is only 1/200. "They say" that EFCS helps with shutter shock at very slow shutter speeds but I don't really do that very often.

But yeah, ES at H is still soooo many shots. I wish I could tune it to 15fps or something.

Exactly! If only they had a "1DX Mode".

As I'm planning out things I want to try this summer, I am tempted by this massive discount on a Flashpoint/Godox 600WS battery-powered monolight.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3ZPxLoJ6V9su6QT9

From the research I've done it seems like this would be really useful for doing pictures outdoors in the bright mid-day light without relying on shade or a reflector just out of frame. Also, this package comes with a Bowens mount octabox, which I was thinking of getting anyway, and a C-stand that should be strong enough to hold it all up (but will it fit easily in the Vette?). The fact this light (and the octabox) are Bowens mount also means that I will already have a few other modifiers that will work with it.

The biggest issue that I've seen people report with it is that the battery needs to be charged every 3 months or less, even if it's not depleted, or it may struggle to charge at all. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things.

I just don't know how much I would actually need to use it. I can come up with scenarios where it would be nice to have, but if I project the next few years how often will I actually be in those scenarios? I've got 5 more days to decide, as it's part of their Passover sale (seems like they reduce prices in exchange for slow deliveries during the holiday).
    Get that weak shit off my track

I know you already have Bowens stuff but I was thinking of grabbing a Paul Buff Celestial which compares similarly to the Godox 600. I have been using the Paul Buff stuff since 2008...it's time I had a battery powered one in my kit. Up until now I have running cords to a wall or to my EU3000is generator that we use on site for sports portraits. Would be nice to have a powerful battery powered one. But...I hate sending money on stuff like that

Yeah, for outdoors stuff going battery powered will make your life so much easier. Even in the studio they are quite convenient.

I purchased VIP Pro from Adorama with the expectation that the 10% off coupon they give you for a one-time use would get paid for when I get that kit. Now just waiting for the coupon to get delivered...
    Get that weak shit off my track

My only issue is on a busy day one camera station might take 1000 photos in full sun. I wish I knew how many pops one can go at 60-80% power before dying.