Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: GAS talk

Prerequisite picture of a (nearly?) full moon that one must take when they get a new long zoom camera/lens:

And, conveniently, quickly seeing its limitations when I try to do the same with a much dimmer blood moon. I manually set infinite focus because the camera never thought the tiny red spot was really what I wanted to focus on, and I was trying different exposure times in shutter priority mode. Anything over 4 seconds the blur was too bad even on just the LCD, though the 4 second shots don't look that great either.

I am only just now realizing that it didn't bother upping the sensitivity in any of the shots, which seems strange. Though maybe it's because the 250 ISO shot made the sky quite bright as well (see the 5 second sample below), presumably from light pollution and/or the sunrise coming from the other direction.

Get that weak shit off my track

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I did some studio photography last week, first with a couple of friends as models and then by myself. Rather than bringing the cheap lighting equipment I got off of Amazon years ago, I decided to pay an extra $50 on top of the studio rental to use their lighting setup: a Nanlite 200 with an octobox, and a Nanlite 60 with a weird cloud/dumpling shaped box. The shoots went so well that I'm planning on doing more with friends, and the lights worked so well, I was looking at how much it would cost to get them for myself to use anywhere and not just keep paying to rent. I was up to $850, not even getting to stands or carrying cases, when I remembered that my plan was just to have whoever I'm taking pictures for cover the costs of the rental, so buying it all doesn't really save me anything even in the long run.