Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

Yes, but if I saw a 600mm f4 lens for sale at about 30% of it's new MSRP, you bet your ass I would buy it whether I really needed it or not, with the confidence that I could probably offload it for about the same or more than I bought it for if I wanted to.

Also, I took stock of the ink levels in the printer. I need to buy a few new cartridges, but overall the printer has about $500 more worth of ink in it than it would come with when new. So accounting for the value of the ink in it, you could argue that it really only cost me $1000.

There is no rational explanation for acquiring this. Nikon FM2/t and Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Ai-S - the former being a NOS example from Japan - the latter a great deal on a a grey-market lens - I'm looking forward to finishing my first roll of Kodak 400XT with it!

...and yes, I saw that big ol' cat hair right on the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KillerB; March 31st, 2019 at 12:13 AM.

The old tripod I was using for the garage has finally deteriorated enough to force me to buy a new one. I ordered a new, cheap tripod from B&H.

So I came back from Gridlife, feeling like I need to pick up at least a 200-500 f5.6...

I’ve been missing the Fuji X100 series bad, so I finally gave in and purchased the X100V. Which means I have a couple lenses that I can probably offload, to either offset the cost, or offset the cost of other lenses for future nature oriented travels. Apparently transitioning back to bachelor life means buying toys

I've "decided" that I'm going to get whichever updates first, the Sony RX100 line or the Sony RX10 line. Unless they both update at the same time. Or I change my mind.

Or the new prices come down on the current "latest" models which are 3-5 years old and still selling at their original MSRP.
    Get that weak shit off my track

What about the OG RX100? I hardly use mine...

They're all great and I think would be better than my HX90 at the stuff I'm doing most (beauty shots of my cars and young ladies, sometimes at the same time).

As I posted in a couple other places here, I went to a big weekend of sports car racing at Indianapolis and took a ton of pictures with my HX90. It confirmed a few things:

+ It is great at certain things, of which daytime auto racing includes many (far away subjects, subjects bathed in sunlight, slipping into a pocket, making manual adjustments to balance for panning shots, videos with subjects approaching and departing, a single quick burst of action)
    - It is terrible at certain things, of which endurance auto racing includes a few (night time, multiple quick bursts of action, complex lighting)
    - It is having hardware problems that cause issues with taking, reviewing, and deleting photos (the selection wheel has gotten a mind of its own, and is the sole way of navigating menus and changing manual settings)

So while I'm really happy with some of the shots I got, especially some of the ones that would be difficult for any consumer level camera, I feel like an RX10 IV is calling my name even louder now. I keep trying to talk myself out of it, because it's SO much money and still won't have the quality of an APS-C or full frame camera, but...

- The newer version of my current camera (HX99) would likely only fix the hardware problems I'm having and add touchscreen focus, without fixing the things it's terrible at
    - I don't know that any other long zoom, small sensor camera from another brand would fix those issues, as they seem to be basic issues with the size and cost
    - Whenever I look at the kind of lens I would want to use for a weekend like this (I was genuinely using the whole range, from 24 mm to 720 mm equivalent and at times could have used more), I get scared off by the price and size of lenses that are still substantially wider: https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-size-co...3_36e89382-t60

And yet ANOTHER wrinkle: venues never complain about my little point & shoot camera being brought into a concert or sporting event, but they will often ban interchangeable lens cameras, and an RX10 is the same basic shape and size as those.

I went and played with an RX10 IV again yesterday, just to confirm how the burst photography worked: my camera and its update lock you out of everything, including taking pictures, while it's clearing the buffer from a burst, the RX10 just locks you out of menus but you can keep taking more. I half-jokingly asked the employees helping me when they were next going to do 24-month financing on everything in the store, and they (and their manager) predicted the first month of November. That might be what pushes me over the edge.

I'm still really nervous about it, though. I wish I was excited instead, but I don't know how to get myself there.