Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

Because I like warranties. 1 year is fine by me, usually if something lasts for 1 year, it'll last quite a while.

I've bought used glass (17-55/2.8 and 10mm fisheye), but probably wouldn't get a used body. I could buy a ten year old lens and lose next to nothing, maybe even gain, but bodies advance quickly in tech.

In the case of the D500, the used prices from reputable websites are simply not low enough - with the Black Friday sale, I was effectively paying the same price for the body as it sells for used on B&H. I'm sure some money could be saved going the craigslist route, but I place a value on my time such that I can't be arsed to deal with craiglist weirdos for much of anything.

I would be fine with refurbished, but there aren't any deals on that at the moment. I missed out an a good deal a few months ago at B&H ($1499 body-only).

I agree with Jason in that once something works for a year, it's likely to continue to work for a long time. I also am fine with used for lenses.
    Last edited by KillerB; November 24th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

I did buy my 1Ds3 used. That was worth it as it was around 35% cheaper than a new one, had only taken a few hundred shots, and as I was going on safari. I'd get similar pro-level kit used because of expense and because it's durable, but I don't need it anymore.

I always buy used...bodies and lenses. But I also have a reputable site where all the members are known photographers. I don’t use BH or EBay type places for used stuff.

With all the stuff I've bought over the last couple years, and a few screaming deals I've snagged, I estimate I've saved about $6300 buying used stuff as opposed to going out and getting it all new. And I'm not even counting the $1000 I saved finding a good deal on a 50mm f1.0 as compared to what they usually sell for, since you can't buy that lens new anymore.

I agree that if something lasts a year, it will probably last much longer, so why not let somebody else prove out the gear for that first year, then snag it afterward?

I also agree that body values drop faster than lenses, so why would you step up and take the brunt of the depreciation by being the first owner?

Having nice shiny brand new things is intoxicating, but when we're talking about a savings of over $6000, I figure I could have bought multiple very expensive lenses that turned out to be complete worthless, broken pieces of junk, and I'd still be on top. I also love the freedom of being able to unload gear to someone else and lose little to nothing of what I initially spent on it. It's more like a cheap long term rental rather than buying gear. And overall, when you're dealing with the really good cameras and lenses, people generally take care of it pretty well in my experience.

I get the whole "my time is valuable" sentiment too, but my time is not $6000 valuable.

I charge by the hour. Mine is.

Yes, but you live in a place where a parking spot costs $200,000. Results not typical.

That’s why we rent rather than buy parking lots.

Obviously those of you in higher tax brackets could just as easily throw a $1000 on the floor, piss on it then light it on fire for fun.

But the rest of us have budgets and need to plan around something called "value". I don't have the latest equipment...I have a 1DX (old), 2) 1DIV cameras (really old), 2) 24-105f4 Ver 1 (old), 70-200 2.8L non is (older than my kids) and 300 2.8L is (older than my kids).

I can't afford the latest brand new stuff...but IQ differences from a 1DX2 and a 300 2.8LIS V2 and what I have are negligible. I could show you images from my OLD 1DIV that you would never be able to tell the difference from a new setup.

I envy the guys like you who can walk into the store and drop $25k on a new 1DX2 and a 400 2.8LIS ver2. I would LOVE to. But we are just lowly buyers of used equipment trying to get by