Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

I have a 28-300 and a 24/1.4 that I haven't mounted in well over a year. I've made up my mind to sell them, but it'll probably have to wait until November as I'm pretty busy at the moment.

With me in Kyoto all I have is my D600 w 16-35 f/4, and 50 f/1.8. Looking to grab a new but used 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 VR while I'm here to just give me range. I have a 80-200mm f/2.8 at home which I was gonna bring but got worried about carry on weight which wasn't checked

Pity. Carry on weight can easily be circumvented by wearing a vest and putting a lens in it, or just even in your jacket or combat pocket.

Combat pocket?

Eh, i'm not sad about leaving it, it's fucking heavy and a push-pull lens. walking anyplace with it in my bag would be murder on my back.

You have combat trousers and pockets in those, right?

Anyway, yeah, it would be big, heavy, and push-pull being 2.8 and an older (I assume) lens design.

Not so sure about this weight-saving business though. Fine, you don't want to carry TOO much weight, but I just look at it as a free workout.

it's like 1.8kg for that lens alone. anyway, I'm really wondering how much reach I need, I'd kinda like to play with a 85 f/1.8 as well

New bag: Dakine Mission Photo

http://www.dakine.com/p/backpacks-an...-photo-25l-14s
    (Actual color)

My Tenba bag is simply enormous. Good for when you need everything, or using for photo and a bunch of other stuff. But sometimes I need something smaller (and lighter), like for the races when I'm carrying it around all day, or when traveling light. It's comfortable, if a bit smaller than I thought based on pictures, but I'm okay with that.

In pictures on the website, it appears deeper, and the top portion bigger: my D300 with the vertical grip does fit in the main bag, but makes it bulge height wise. Can't get the zipper closed on the top portion with the D300 (no grip) and 28-300VR, but I think it would close with a smaller lens.

I'll be taking it to Austin next week, so I'll get a good idea of how effective and comfortable it is then.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; October 23rd, 2014 at 06:37 PM.

17-40 has found it's way into my possession today. Saw a good deal on a mint 2nd hand one, and...yeah. Imma go wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

eta: I do use the 28mm a lot, but wanted a little flexibility at the uwa end. 28 will probably be sold in the new year, along with the 100mm which I've not used in an age.

I'm debating picking up a MF SLR

I almost picked up an a6000 during all the seasonal sales, but I decided to focus more on doing stuff (and things) and not just taking pictures of what I'm already doing. Gotta get more appreciative of the moment for just the moment.