Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

Personally, I'm a total sucker for primes when I'm doing anything street, or portraiture related. For travel/landscapes, I stick with a pair of zooms. But, I'm also not as hardcore on gear as you and SLM at this point haha

I am more motivated by what is the most bang I can get for my measly buck. I used to have a 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, 200 2.8 and 300 2.8. Once the business became a little more specific and I needed to invest in lights and other shit I realized I needed to sell off what I don't use much and buy what I need instead of want. So fast forward 8 years and now I have 3) 24-105, a 70-200 2.8 non IS, 300 2.8, a 1DX, 2) 1DIV and a 1DIII (trying to sell) and 1.4 extender.

I would like to sell the MkIII and a MkIV and grab another 1DX but can't afford. Would like to also grab a 50 1.4 again. But mo money again. Got kids, house that needs work blah blah whine whine.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Tripod or monopod.
    Yes, I did just get into a debate about tripod heads. But, ultimately, tripods are so damn cumbersome, slow, and limiting. If I absolutely need to use one, like with night sky photos, ok. But generally, they're hard to carry around and they slow me down. Maybe I should dick around with a monopod, might not be as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I am more motivated by what is the most bang I can get for my measly buck. I used to have a 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, 200 2.8 and 300 2.8. Once the business became a little more specific and I needed to invest in lights and other shit I realized I needed to sell off what I don't use much and buy what I need instead of want. So fast forward 8 years and now I have 3) 24-105, a 70-200 2.8 non IS, 300 2.8, a 1DX, 2) 1DIV and a 1DIII (trying to sell) and 1.4 extender.

I would like to sell the MkIII and a MkIV and grab another 1DX but can't afford. Would like to also grab a 50 1.4 again. But mo money again. Got kids, house that needs work blah blah whine whine.
    Sell the kids, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Yes, I did just get into a debate about tripod heads. But, ultimately, tripods are so damn cumbersome, slow, and limiting. If I absolutely need to use one, like with night sky photos, ok. But generally, they're hard to carry around and they slow me down. Maybe I should dick around with a monopod, might not be as bad.
    Monopods are easier to carry around and use. If you are only concerned about using slow shutter speeds and keeping things stable, get one a high-end ballhead (this is 100% a Buy Once, Use For Life rather than Buy Cheap, Buy Twice situation) and a monopod. That setup is also very useful if you ever need to shoot sports like motor racing or rugby.

If using a monopod is not practical because you can't "feel the moment", and/or for timing and/or safety reasons, then yeah, go get a 24-105 IS I guess.

I might suggest one of those tiny tripods with the bendy legs. If you need some stability at night for a neat long exposure just pop it on a car hood, picnic table, ground etc.

Just a thought. They are really tiny...and if you see something happening just pull it out, screw it on and shoot. Shit now I want one

I was telling him what I use on my Canon. Not what he should use in his Nikon.
    Actually, you specifically suggested I get a 24-120, but whatever.

But he quoted my 24-105 post. I have no idea if Nikon makes a 24-105 or not.

I am so fucking done with third party lens fuckery... A bunch of fucking red rings... That's all I fucking want in my camera bag.

I might suggest one of those tiny tripods with the bendy legs. If you need some stability at night for a neat long exposure just pop it on a car hood, picnic table, ground etc.

Just a thought. They are really tiny...and if you see something happening just pull it out, screw it on and shoot. Shit now I want one
    Absolutely this. Some of my best night shots have been with a Canon S95, or a G9x and a $25 Joby gorlillapod magnetic. Both parts fit in my jeans/jacket pocket with no hassle and provide 80% of the quality for a minuscule fraction of the encumbrance. This ultimately means dinner with the missus in NYC and a quick few shots on the way home without 'that' conversation. Well worth the investment.

I also have their all metal SLR tripod but have only used it twice. Both times a jumper/jacket/blanket would have been as much use as it was just to get the camera off of the ground!